Prologue

Many, many years ago, people lived in a world of magic and wonder. Witches spread their gifts of magic throughout the world. They defended the humans, animals, and all of nature's gifts. People accepted them as a part of the world that was pure and beautiful.

But as time went on, the humans saw more and more of what the witches could do. Some spread stories of how they could be the very things to end the human race.

The witches knew that they could not live among them as peacefully as they once did but they did not hide away.

The spirits spoke to the witches, they told them that, soon, the humans would not welcome them with open arms. They would need a new creation to help to protect them from any harm that would come to pass.

So the spirits told the witches to create the protectors of men, known as the Sun Children. The witches, sworn to help the humans, agreed to the spirits will. They gathered the humans that still believed in the good of witches and chose them to be the first of the Sun Children. 

They would be stronger, faster, and nearly indestructible. Those with gifts were considered the "Chosen Ones, meant to be the saviors of life on Earth.

The humans praised them. They were beautiful, so beautiful that they were enchanted by them at first glance. Their skin would glisten in the sunlight to show that they were a symbol of beauty and glory, their silver eyes a sign of their purity.

But as time moved on, the witches realized the flaw in their creation. They couldn't figure out why the children of the Sun were starving, nothing they gave them seemed to help.

It wasn't until a Sun Child attacked a human village, slaughtering everyone in sight, that they knew of the craving the children had long for.

The craving for blood.

Their eyes turned crimson red, the color of the blood they took from the very thing they were meant to protect. Some Sun Children, sworn to protect humankind, refused to feed on the humans, hunting animals instead, their eyes golden to identify their compassion for the humans.

Even with the golden eyes, the spirits knew they had made a mistake when they created the Sun Children. They knew they had to be destroyed but the red-eyed Chosen Ones fought against the witches, making it harder for them to fix the wrong.

The witches knew that they would not be able to defeat them, so the spirits told them of the ways to destroy them; rip apart the body and burn the pieces.

The witches began to fix what they had done but the Sun Children had found a way to spread their disease onto humanity and keep their numbers high.

The witches knew they could not defeat the Sun Children so they gathered the golden-eyes to protect the humans as well as they could.

After a while, the spirits told them witches of a way to create something that could kill the Sun Children and keep the humans safe. The werewolves.

The witches were hesitant but agreed to the spirits will once again.

The werewolves were soon created, sworn to keep the humans safe. The witches kept the wolves secret, keeping humanity from their attempt to destroy them out of fear. They became the natural enemy of the Sun Children and balance was restored once again. 

As time passed, some Sun Children went into hiding and the witches were able to be more open with their magic once again, the humans trusting them a little more as they believed the Sun Children had been dying out.

The humans and and the witches lived in harmony once more.

That was until the Volturi Kings came to power. They knew that the witches had the means to destroy the Sun Children so they hunted them, and the werewolves, down with the force of the Chosen Ones. Witches went into hiding and werewolves slowly began to decrease.

Soon, the werewolves became extinct and witches were an extreme rarity, thought to be extinct by the Volturi.

The Volturi spread stories of how the witches were weak creatures who could not protect themselves or others and soon died out. Man believed that witches did not exist, fairy tale and folklore, along with the Sun Children who had been forced to hide away from humans and keep their existence a secret.

To keep from being killed, the witches who survived, practiced magic less and less. Soon, magic almost ceased to exist.

As a last attempt to fix what they had created, nature's biggest regret, the Sun Children, the witches spread a little touch of magic in different areas around the world to protect the humans from the dangers they had created.

Throughout history, the Sun Children's name had been morphed. They were now known as the Children of the Night, bloodsuckers, parasites, leeches, but, most commonly, vampires.

They became legend, lore, tale. Stories of their creation, vulnerabilities, and appearances were changed. Stories of how they burn in the sun, cannot be seen in mirrors, are weakened by garlic spread.

Everything that had to do with magic became fake to humanity. Magic became scarce as the world was soon overtaken by machine, technology, and advancements that made magic seemingly unnecessary.

Witches turned away from humans, protecting themselves instead as the humans had done. Shapeshifters, taking on the same duty as the werewolves, swore to protect humanity from vampires.

Witches became unknown.