Chapter 5: Chemistry Between the Two of Them? (Yukimura Fudou)

Start from the beginning

"Take pictures for us!"

"G-guys, it's not what you think!"

Kazuraba squealed as Takanori moved her along. As soon as they were out of our sight, all of us laughed.

"Those two are definitely dating. She can't hide it from us forever."

Hono smirked and sat down.

"Takanori having a girlfriend is unlikely. You sure he didn't just kidnap her?" I said.

"But those two are screaming romantic partners." Hono sighed listlessly. "It would be so nice to have a boyfriend!"

"Takanori-san and Yukina-san aren't dating, for sure. After all, Takanori-san's one of the big three loners." Sakigamiya said.

Yep, I definitely could agree with her.

"Yukina-chan's so nice, going out with such a plain guy like him." Hono said.

"Are you still on that train of thought?"

Demiza laughed as she sat down.

"I'm a believer of their relationship."

Hono was really upbeat and peppy. No wonder she and Sakigamiya were close friends.

"Anyways, we've gotta study. Let's go over what Ike-sensei taught us today. Extracting metals and equilibria!"

I didn't have any intentions of cheering like everyone else when Sakigamiya suggested that.

"Let's look at the chart Ike-sensei handed us. It shows the reactivity series of metals. Generally, the more active the metal is, the more vigorous the reaction, and it loses electrons more easily to form positive ions, or cations. So at the top of this chart, it shows that potassium and sodium are most reactive. It shows us two different reactions - water and dilute acids."

I remember doing acid and alkalis in middle school since I squeezed the lemon juice into some guy's eye and got detention for it. It was funny, though. I remember that lemon is an acid at least.

"When metal reacts with water, a metal hydroxide and hydrogen is formed."

"It can be written like this, right?"

Hono wrote down "Metal + Water -> Metal Hydroxide + Hydrogen".

"Correct. For example, sodium reacts rapidly with cold water, melting into a ball and fizzing about on the surface. The chemical equation would look like this."

Sodium + water -> sodium hydroxide + hydrogen.

"In a symbol equation..."

2Na + 2H20 -> 2NaOH + 2H2.

"So, why does it have all the big 2s in front of it, Yukimura-kun?"

Oh god, she picked on me? Let's see if I can cast my mind back to middle school...

When we did chemistry, what was I doing...?

I was thinking hard about it...

Aha, I reached the conclusion!

I was definitely sleeping in that class because it was so boring!

"...no idea."

Sakigamiya pouted.

"It's to balance the equation. You need to have the same amount of elements on each side for a balanced reaction."

I'll definitely remember it now if it's you telling me!

"In general, the more reactive the metal, the more rapid the reaction is. Now, let's talk about reactions with steam. Metals that react slowly will react quickly with steam. In these reactions, a metal oxide and hydrogen are produced. Ria-san, take the lead."