- Part 3 (Kawaguchi Masaru)

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, yeah, whatever."

"Which topic you guys doing?" I asked.

"Electricity. I did a practical yesterday, but still need to sharpen my skills."

"We're... going over the basics of circuits."

"Alright, sounds good to me."

Well, my dad has a degree in science, so it shouldn't be hard for me. Though, his degree's in biology, specifically the human body... that's a far cry from electricity. If it was chemistry, then I'd at least have electrolysis.

"Let's look over series circuits, the most simple one. The practical you did yesterday involved a series circuit because the electrical components are connected one after another in a single loop."

Nora began drawing out a circuit on his notebook. Yeah, I've definitely seen that before. In middle school, I think? Though, I didn't pay much attention back then... I wasted my time in class messing around with everyone else.

It was absolute chaos in that classroom...

"In a circuit, there are rules. One of these is an electron will pass through each component in a circuit. That means if one bulb breaks, the rest of them also go out. This is because the current can't flow around the circuit since it can't get past that component."

"Oh, so it's like Vanguard. You guard with your units, and if your opponent drive checks a trigger, the shield breaks and you get dealt a damage. Since that damage was the 6th one, you die, like all the bulbs."

"Umm... well, if you put it that way... I suppose it kind of works... like that."

"What..." Yukimura muttered, giving me a disgusted stare. "Just how much do you and Mitsuba love Vanguard?"

"Vanguard's like the only thing I'll ever get in this world."

I laugh, but Vanguard lets me escape from my regrets in middle school.

"A-anyways... um... all the electrons flowing through this series circuit form a single current. You can use an ammeter to measure the current. It doesn't matter where you place it, since the recording will be the same."

"So if you place an ammeter on any rear-guard circle, the current will be the same?"

"Y-Yes...?"

I think I'm confusing him with these Vanguard comparisons.

"Kawaguchi, just shut up!"

"Right, right, sorry."

I stuck out my tongue and laid my head on the table.

"Please, continue."

"Um... so for potential difference... since the current transfers energy from the power supply to the component in the circuit, and we know that energy has to be conserved, all the source energy must be shared between the components. Since potential difference measures the change in energy, the voltage supplied is equal to the total of the potential differences across all other components."

"So you add the potential difference of each component together to find the voltage supply?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Sick."

"Now, if resistors are connected in series, the current has to flow through both of them, increasing the resistance. To find the total resistance, you add the resistances together."

"This is easy." Yukimura said.

"You jinxed yourself." I said.

"W-well... Kawaguchi-san has a point. This is just a basic series circuit. The parallel circuit is more complex."