Myrtle followed his gaze. "Tarleton?"

Holt nodded. "I heard him arguing with Neil in the grocery store recently. He felt like Neil cheated him out of a job."

"Did he?" asked Myrtle. "Was he sneaky like that? I really didn't know Neil and no one else seemed to, either."

Holt considered this. "He could be. Neil might have been hired by Tarleton and then immediately started complaining about Tarleton to the higher ups. I could see him doing that. And, of course, Neil was a very hard worker and a great salesman. He could have replaced Tarleton because he was more productive than he was and because he was bringing in more money. It's all about the money at the bank."

Holt stood up and said, "Miss Myrtle, it's been good talking to you. Do you think you can walk back to your car? I'm happy to escort you there."

Myrtle saw that Miles, finally free from the despicable Erma, was hurrying their way. "I appreciate that, Holt, and all that you've done. I'll be all right, though. I came here with my friend and he's here now."

Holt introduced himself to Miles and then made his goodbyes.

Myrtle called after him, "And don't be surprised if you see me in the halls at the school soon!"

Holt turned, gave her an uncertain smile, and lifted his hand in a wave.

Miles said, "You gave him a heads-up that you were planning on spending time at the high school interviewing Adelaide and him? I thought you were trying to keep him from being defensive and quiet?"

"I was trying to keep him from being defensive and quiet. I told him I was coming out of retirement and returning to the classroom," said Myrtle.

Miles stared at her, blinking. Then he burst into laughter.

"It's not that funny. I was a great English teacher. I taught for thirty years. He should be falling all over himself to pull me out of retirement," said Myrtle with a sniff.

"Was he?" asked Miles, gently wiping tears of laughter from his eyes.

"He was merely surprised," said Myrtle. "And he seemed to question my ability to learn classroom technology. For heaven's sake! I'm online and on social media all the time. Sometimes people act as though seniors can't do things that they're way too qualified to do. It gives me half a mind to submit an application over there."

"That'll give him something to worry over," said Miles. "Well, did you find out anything?"

"He admitted that he knew Neil back in Boston. But I think he was lying about the argument he had with Neil. He claimed that it had something to do with being denied a bank loan."

"What was the loan for?" asked Miles.

"Holt said he was making improvements to his house, but I could tell he wasn't giving the whole truth," said Myrtle. "And he said that he heard Tarleton arguing with Neil in the grocery store."

"We already knew that Tarleton and Neil weren't getting along. I suppose more corroboration isn't a bad thing, though," said Miles. He stood up from the bench where he'd been sitting next to Myrtle. "Ready to go?"

"I guess so. As long as there isn't a chance that I might run into Erma Sherman again," said Myrtle with a shudder.

"I've already seen her file out to the parking lot, so we should be safe. Believe me, I'd do anything to avoid an additional Erma encounter today," said Miles as they walked toward his car.

"What was her health care complaint of the day today?" asked Myrtle. "Tooth decay?"

"Bunions," said Miles succinctly. They both shuddered.