33

"mikey? what are you doing here?".

in the doorway, mikey stands with soft eyes and a bouquet of flowers in his left hand and a pumpkin pie in his right. he's bouncing on the balls of his feet slightly but he's only looking at nessa.

"i remember you saying that your favourite part about thanksgiving was making the pies in the morning with your mom and then decorating the table so i bought all the stuff to make a pumpkin pie a few days before you arrived but then we uh- brok- so  i made it by myself and thought that you'd like to maybe have some? and the flowers are for you but you can put them on the table for decoration if you like" he rambles, his palms sweaty.

in this moment nessa can't help but feel for the boy. she crushed his heart and he still cared enough to make her thanksgiving or in this case- friendsgiving- special. she frowns.

"mikey i'm sorry but we've already ate".

a look of sadness washes over his face like the waves wash away the finger paintings children draw in the sand.

"but i'm sure mads and jaden won't mind if you come in for some pie and a game of soccer with the guys."nessa tells him, opening the door for him to enter.

she and mikey make their way into the kitchen where mads, olivia, and dixie are cleaning up the aftermath of lunch while abby and avani put out clean plates for the pie's to be plated.

"girls, mikey has come baring gifts" nessa announces as she grabs her friends' attention.

mads is the first to stop drying the dishes and turn around to face the pair. she chuckles quietly, not understanding why mikey is here at her house for friendsgiving.

"well isn't that nice of him! here mikey let me take that for you" avani smiles politely, taking the flowers and pumpkin pie out of his hands.

he lets her, thanking her with a nod of his head.

nessa and mads look at each other, communicating with their eyes. nessa begs for mads to let him stay as he's just a friend and this is friendsgiving after all. mads fights back for a second, imaging all the bad that can possibly come from letting him but she gives up eventually, mentally screaming at herself in the process.

"mikey the boys are out in the backyard playing soccer if you want to join them" mads tells him, cutting up slices from one of the four pies she had laid out- mikeys not included.

nodding, mikey smiles down at nessa before heading out back. when he's gone, all eyes are immediately on nessa.

"he just showed up okay? i didn't invite him and he was only trying to do a nice thing for me. we aren't back together. just friends" nessa clarifies before any questions can be thrown her way.

mads crosses her arms.

"you do realise mikey is all alone out in the backyard with the boys and sarah right? remember that small tiny detail that josh doesn't know about? well i think he's going to find out about it if sooner than later if he's left out there any longer".

nessa inhales sharply, hurrying to get outside and stop mikey and josh from talking to each other. she hadn't even contemplated how awkward today was going to be and how horrible it could turn if josh finds out why she and mikey broke up.

making her way outside, nessa eases her breathing a little when she sees that the game of soccer is in full swing and mikey is playing. sarah sits on the outside furniture, clearly unbothered by the game. nessa makes her way over to the seating area and takes a seat beside sarah but she doesn't even notice her presence.

mikey runs to the opposite end of the yard, the ball at his feet and determination writen on his face. he makes it past griffin and shoots into the goal. kio tries to save the ball from going in but it hits the back of the net perfectly, creating an amazing goal.

"WOOHOO GO MIKE".

nessa waves over to him, unsure why she's yelling for him but if she and mikey are going to on be friends then being supportive of  your friend is progress. she's making progress. mikey, thankful for the support, waves back- his smile beaming as he gets ready for the game to reset.

josh looks over at nessa and then to sarah who's on her phone- not giving a rats ass about the game nor the fact josh's team is losing.

as the game goes on, the girls come outside with desert for the boys. they have their half time break and eat. mikey practically feeds nessa the pie he brought, telling her to feel the flavours- whatever that was supposed to mean.

with a clenched jaw, josh stabs at his own slice of pie. he's been in a weird mood ever since mikey showed up and he feels guilty for it. he's never seen mikey and nessa together at the same time. he hasn't seen what they act like when they're all mushy and shit. he doesn't like the feeling he gets knowing that mikey makes her happy but the reason for why he feels like that can't exist. he has sarah now.

half time is over and the game starts back up. everyone cheers from the sidelines as the boys split into their teams- bryce refereeing.

"go baby!!!" avani calls for anthony, he blows her a kiss in response.

the game starts and josh is in possession of the ball. he weaves himself through the yard, missing anthony's failed attempt to steal the ball from him. he was getting somewhere until mikey completely takes the ball out from under josh's feet and accidentally causes him to fall down, hitting the ground pretty hard.

"oh my god joshy!".

everyone rushes over to see if he's okay. mikey offers his hand to pull josh up but he refuses, taking bryce's hand instead and spitting onto the ground.

"what the hell was that man?" he yells, shoving mikey.

nessa steps in front of mikey defensively, earning herself a glare from a pissed off josh. he scoffs, rolling his eyes in annoyance.

"calm down nessa i'm not gonna hurt your lil bitch of a boyfriend" he snarls, turning to walk away.

mikey can feel himself fill with rage and confusion. the whole reason he and nessa broke up was because of her feelings for josh so why did she break up with him if she wasn't going to act on those feelings?

"you haven't told him? nessa what the fuck is going on?".

josh turns back around hesitantly, all eyes on him- besides nessa's of course.

"tell me what?" he asks, his own eyes fixated on the nervous girl in between the two of them.

nessa shakes her head, opening her mouth to say something but struggling to form actual words that will make any sense whatsoever.

mikey scoffs.

"we broke up. because of you".

_________________________

D R A M A
anyways hello
my updating with get better

vote & comment 🤩