[chouko's first day]

[chap. one]

the bell rang, signaling the end of the period. i sighed in relief as the kids filed out of my classroom, returning to their regular ones. i didn't have a class that period so i slacked off by watching the news. after about five minutes i got bored again and went to the teacher's lounge.

"kato!" midnight, or nemuri kayama, ran towards chouko in the halls. the two had met at a meeting before the school year starts. it was only a matter of time before nemuri found her. chouko turned her head and stopped walking.

"you can call me chouko you know." chouko and nemuri fell into step and started walking to the teacher's lounge again.

nemuri laughed, "and you can call me nemuri." she sped ahead and opened the door for chouko who thanked her discreetly.

chouko made a bee-line for the coffee pot and poured herself a cup with creamer. she went to sit down on nemuri's desk and watch her review papers when something caught her eye.

"who's the worm?" chouko dipped her head to gesture at the zipped up sleeping bag on the couch.

nemuri rolled her eyes and mumbled something under her breath, "you know eraserhead? that's him, shouta aizawa."

chouko pulled her eyes away from aizawa and back to nemuri. "is anything cool happening soon? i forgot how crappy teenagers are. i already found the kids that give me headaches and it's only the first day." chouko started to fiddle with her quirk, making glass cups and glasses and placing them on nemuri's desk.

nemuri took one of the mugs and moved it to the other side of the desk, "class 1-a is going to the usj for a field-trip with aizawa and all might on wednesday."

"all might is still a practicing pro-hero? huh..." chouko hopped off of the desk and picked up all of her glass cups and put them into empty cabinets.

"what's wrong with all might?" nemuri scoffed, leaning onto her arm to watch chouko's reaction.

chouko turned back to the other woman, "nothing! he's just bound to retire sooner or later! i mean i took a break for three years before i took this job. and i'm not even doing hero work yet," chouko spat out the last part. she didn't 'take' a break. she was kidnapped and then worked like a mule by sadistic scientists.

nemuri looked like she was about to say something but instead turned back to her unreviewed papers. chouko decided to plop herself down on the couch across from aizawa and lay down. she soon fell asleep despite the coffee she just drank with her head in the crook of the couch.

[...]

"chouko?" nemuri patted chouko on the shoulder and she quickly woke up.

"yeah?" chouko asked, blinking the tired right out of her eyes.

nemuri laughed, "it's the end of the period you have to go teach your class. you know you're really easy to wake up." nemuri handed chouko another cup of coffee in one of the glass mugs chouko made earlier.

"i'm a really light sleeper." chouko took a sip of the coffee, "i had a friend that would always get into trouble late at night." chouko smiled into her cup of coffee.

"was?" nemuri pressed onwards.

"i haven't seen him in a long time." chouko rambled as nemuri started pulling her out into the hallway. "i hope i see him soon," chouko finally said. letting it fester inside of her wasn't helping her mental health.

nemuri didn't say anything and the pair walked in silence. chouko waved nemuri good-bye and walked back into her classroom.

[...]