“Yeah, they’d be so proud.” I began to drag him away from the scene of the musical crime. There was no point in telling him that the Beatles hadn’t gotten him his way — it was my fear of causing a scene that made me cave. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to hold Ryan’s hand . . . but being out in the open as a couple felt too exposed.

Only a few short weeks ago, I’d been the one telling girls not to date, that all guys were lying, cheating scum of the earth. And while some of them were (hello, dirtbag Nate Taylor), Ryan was wonderful. Public embarrassments aside.

The Lonely Hearts Club had caused such a ruckus at McKinley High that I didn’t want it to appear that I was backing down by being with Ryan. The Club was the best thing that had happened to me in high school, and I didn’t want anything to mess that up. And I was well aware of how much a guy could mess things up.

We turned the corner to head up the escalators to the movie theater, when I spotted a few of my fellow Lonely Hearts Club members coming down.

“Pen!” Tracy waved at us, and Jen and Morgan perked up behind her.

I instinctively let go of Ryan’s hand as they made their way over to us.

“Hey.” Tracy hugged me, and her dirty-blond ponytail lightly brushed my cheek. She then turned to Ryan. “Bauer,” she said solemnly.

“How’re you doing, Tracy?” he said cheerfully, clearly wanting to get in good with my best friend. He already had her approval — she was partially responsible for us finally getting together — but with Tracy you wanted to get as far on her good side as possible.

Tracy made a show of looking him up and down. “I’m doing great, obvs. Got my girls, saw a movie, not dealing with the man. What could possibly be better?”

“Ah . . .” Ryan had no idea what to say next.

I interceded. “What are you guys up to now? Ryan and I were just . . . um, I saw him —” I stopped myself, not quite believing that I’d been about to make up a story of why Ryan and I were together. I didn’t know why I felt like I had to watch what I was saying. These girls were practically my family, and I’d known Ryan for years. I should’ve been comfortable having us all be together, but I wasn’t used to being The Girl Who Now Dates, especially with the girls I’d spent nearly every Saturday last semester with, comparing notes on the evil things guys could do. “I’ll tell you what we’re up to.” Jen patted her stomach.

“Food. Lots of food.”

Tracy could sense I was uncomfortable. She tilted her head slightly. “Well, we should get going — there’s a cinnamon bun with my name on it somewhere in the vicinity. Have fun . . . but not too much fun.”

“Oh, we won’t,” I promised her. Ryan poked my side in protest. “How could anybody have fun without you around?”

“Exactly!” Tracy replied. “See, Pen, you get me. You. Get. Me.” She pounded her first lightly against her chest. The group started walking away, but Tracy stood her ground. “Remember, Bauer.” She held up two fingers to her eyes, then turned them on Ryan. “I’ve got my eyes on you.” She laughed maniacally while linking arms with Jen and Morgan as the three of them walked away.

“You know she’s only teasing,” I reminded Ryan.

He ran his fingers through his dark wavy hair. “Yeah, I know. Usually, guys have to worry about making a good impression on their girlfriends’ parents, but I’ve also got to get the blessing of over twenty girls. No pressure.”

He used the word girlfriend with such ease, as though it was completely clear what we were doing.

It wasn’t quite as clear to me. But at the same time, I liked that he used the word without hesitation, unafraid to commit to me.

I grabbed his hand again as we got on the escalator. “Come on, the Club loves you,” I assured him. “You know how happy they were when we started dating.”

“Yeah, I do,” he replied with a gentle squeeze of my hand. “And for your information, my mom’s thrilled we’re together because it means she has an automatic babysitter on Saturday.”

One of the rules of the Club was that we had to have our meetings on Saturday nights, which wasn’t really a big deal. Ryan and I would go out on Fridays — and sometimes we spent Sundays together if the Club wasn’t up to anything. Neither of us minded.

Tracy’s laugh echoed up the escalators. I looked back and saw them all giggling at something.

Ryan studied my face as I watched my friends go off with- out me.

“Do you want to go hang out with them?” he asked.

“No, it’s fine.” Although I had to admit I felt a slight sting that I hadn’t been included in their girls’ day out.

He wrapped his arm around me as we stepped off the escalator. “You’re a horrible liar.”

“I am?” I leaned into him. “Hey, Ryan?”

“Yes, Miss Penny Lane?”

I exaggeratedly batted my eyelashes at him. “You’re a really good singer.”

He tickled my stomach, which caused me to respond with a loud shriek. A couple walking in front of us turned around. Before I could protest further, Ryan pulled me in tight and kissed me on the forehead. Instead of pulling away like I had before, I leaned in even closer. Despite my pangs of jealousy, I knew that I needed to focus more on the here and now. And right there and then, I knew there was nowhere else I wanted to be, and no one else I wanted to spend my Sunday with.