Chapter 21 - Eagles and Erebor

"That one is mine. Kill the others." My eyes widened when I realized what he had said. The Wargs came at us again, attacking the bottoms of the trees. The force made them shake violently as they tore branches off, getting higher and higher. The tree I was in started falling, having been uprooted by the weight of the animals. We crashed into the tree behind us, which fell and crashed into the one behind that. The trees kept falling and we jumped from tree to tree, until we got to the very last one that sat on the edge of the cliff. I watched as one of the fallen trees fell off the side. Something caught my eye and I turned to see a burning pinecone fly through the air. Gandalf tossed another down to Fili who held it against a pinecone I had grabbed, igniting it. One by one, we each lit a pinecone, dropping it down to where the Wargs stood. They would light fallen branches and grass, making the Wargs move back. We started to cheer, but quickly stopped when we felt the tree falling, unable to support all of us. Ori slipped from his branch and began to fall, latching onto Dori's leg and causing him to slip.

"Mr. Gandalf!" Dori yelled up. His hands kept slipping and Gandalf quickly stuck his staff out, allowing Dori to grab hold as he began to fall. Thorin stood up right next to me, wielding his sword. He walked past all the burning branches toward Azog. Once he made it onto the main land, he started to run, raising his sword into the air. The Warg Azog was on leapt and came down on top of Thorin. Thorin got back up, but was knocked back down when Azog hit him with the weapon he had. Without thinking, I climbed onto the widest part of the tree as the white Warg bit down on Thorin's body. He was tossed to the side and I faintly heard Azog tell another Orc to bring him Thorin's head. Unsheathing my sword, I took a deep breath before running over to where the Orc stood over Thorin. The Orc was just about to bring his sword down when I tackled him. He pushed me off of him and was about to stab me when I stabbed his arm. He moved and I got on top of him, stabbing my sword into his chest several times. Pulling the sword out of his lifeless body, I stood in front of Thorin, guarding him. Three Wargs with riders started coming towards me and I dropped my sword, changing into a wolf. I was about to attack when I heard the Dwarves yelling out. They started to attack the Wargs and Orcs. A Warg with a rider came at me and I swiped my paws at the animal's face, scratching it. Turning, I ran straight into the white Warg, who threw me onto my back. I changed back into my human form, eyes widening as the Warg came closer. Hearing birds squawking, I looked up into the sky, seeing Giant Eagles flying. My mouth dropped as one picked up a Warg and dropped it over the edge of the cliff. Another one dropped a tree onto three Wargs as another picked up a Warg with a rider and dropped it. Wargs started disappearing as more and more Eagles came. An Eagle picked up Thorin's unmoving body, carrying it away. I watched an Eagle fly closer to me and that's when I knew what it was about to do. Before I could move, it grabbed me with its talons and flew over the edge. What it did next, I was definitely not expecting or too happy about. It dropped me. I started screaming, my eyes closed tight as I thought I was going to die. Feeling myself land on something firm, I peeked an eye open, to see feathers all around me. I had landed on another Eagle. Breathing a sigh of relief, I positioned myself on the Eagle's back so that I was sitting comfortably, the wind rushing past my face. The Eagle circled around, following the others. We were still flying as the sun started to come up. I heard Fili yell Thorin's name and I quickly turned to look for him. He was at the front of the group, not too far from me. He still wasn't moving. I knew Thorin hated me, but that didn't mean that I had to hate him back. The Eagle carrying Thorin landed on a cliff, which luckily, was easy to get down from. It slowly let go of Thorin's body before flying off. One by one, the Eagles would land on the cliff, allowing the riders to get off. I slid off of the back of the Eagle I was on and turned to watch it fly away. When I turned back around, I was caught in a tight hug. Breathing in the familiar scent, I wrapped my arms around his waist hugging him back. I was so glad he was safe.

"I'm so happy that you're okay. Back there, with the Goblins, I thought I had lost you," Kili mumbled into my ear.

"You'll never be rid of me," I mumbled back, a smile on my face.

"The Shifter Elf?" I heard Thorin say, weakly. Pulling away from Kili, I moved closer to where Gandalf was crouched next to Thorin.

"It's all right. Almithara is here. She's quite safe." Kili and Dwalin helped Thorin stand and he shrugged them off.

"You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed!" My face dropped as he walked towards me. I had not expected him to yell at me for saving his life. "Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild? That you had no place amongst us? I have never been so wrong in all my life." Thorin moved forward and wrapped me in a hug. Okay, I definitely wasn't expecting that. The Dwarves started cheering at his change of heart and I smiled, wrapping my arms around him to return the hug. "I'm sorry I doubted you," he admitted, pulling away.

"No, I would have doubted me too," I told him. "I'm not a hero or a warrior. Not even a burglar," I said, looking over at Gandalf. Looking over Thorin's shoulder, I watched the Eagles flying away from us. Thorin's face caught my attention and I turned to see what he was staring at. "Is that what I think it is?" I followed Thorin to the edge, staring off into the distance.

"Erebor," Gandalf announced. "The Lonely Mountain. The last of the great Dwarf kingdoms of Middle-earth."

"Our home," Thorin whispered.

"A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain," Oin stated. I turned my head and saw a small bird, fluttering through the air, towards the mountain.

"See, I told you he didn't hate you." I rolled my eyes, bumping Kili with my shoulder. He laughed, reaching up slightly and grabbing my hand, lacing our fingers together.

"That, my dear Oin, is a thrush," Gandalf corrected.

"But we'll take it as a sign. A good omen," Thorin said, glancing down at me.

"You're right. I do believe the worst is behind us," I alleged, giving Kili's hand a small squeeze.

I OWN NOTHING BUT MY CHARACTER!!