T H I R T Y - O N E

Bắt đầu từ đầu

She seemed a bit jealous.

"Don't call me that," her mom swatted her with a cloth napkin (yeah, they used cloth napkins). "Sit."

"Why did you tell them I was so sweet?" I whispered to David, who laughed at my confusion.

"You are sweet," he answered, patting me on the leg. "This is my girlfriend. Be nice."

"When am I not?" she smiled very fakely, taking a seat at the table. Eli was the first one to help himself to the pan of spaghetti in the middle. Rude. The Harrisons seemed like the type of people to pray before they started, but he didn't care. Alyssa gestured to her boyfriend, still staring me down. "This is Eli. Isn't he cute?"

It was clear that she was trying to catch me between a rock and a hard place... and piss David off. It was strange. He was closer to my age than David was, so it made me very uncomfortable to even think about.

"You look a little like Warner from Legally Blonde," was how I answered. I wasn't going to call him cute, but I wasn't rude enough to call him not cute in front of everyone, so that seemed like the next best option.

"You like Legally Blonde?" Alyssa seemed to perk up at my reference, and I nodded with a smile. "That's my favorite movie."

"I like any feminist movie. And any Reese Witherspoon movie," I told her, and she nodded excitedly. We prayed before the meal (except Eli, who was already eating), and then David scooped me out some spaghetti and handed me a piece of garlic bread. "Thank you."

"I hope the spaghetti's okay. I've heard you're quite the cook, Evan," Gabriel said, and I blushed, my eyes finding David's, who just shrugged. He had talked about me a lot more than I thought.

"I'm not that good," I giggled. "I cook easy things. I'm just the only one who will make David homecooked meals at college, so he thinks I'm amazing."

"She's really good," David killed my humility. "But the spaghetti's alright."

"Don't be rude," I stared at him for a second, then turned to smile at Gabriel. "I love it. The ricotta's really good. And this wine is really good, too. Tastes expensive."

"Oh, no, it's pretty cheap. Only about fifty dollars," Gabriel explained, and my eyes nearly bulged out of my head. Considering my roommates bought four dollar wine from the gas station because it "worked the same", fifty dollars for one bottle was astronomical. "You can take a bottle with you. For your roommates."

"Okay," I smiled. "Thank you. That's very nice."

"So, Evan, are you, like, in love with David?" Alyssa asked, her eyes piercing into me. I was beginning to become scared of her.

"Stop," David told her, since I was visibly uncomfortable.

"I'm just trying to get to know my new sister-in-law," she frowned. "I looked you up, you know. Read a lot about you."

The only thing she would've found when she looked me up would be articles about my mom and Maddie, so that was terrifying. I took a sip of my wine to dodge her statement, but she kept going, "You should totally do a TV interview, like 20/20. You'd be so rich. Or a book."

"Alyssa Nicolette Harrison," Nicolette frowned. "That's enough."

"I'm just saying," she shrugged with a pout, and David grabbed the hand that wasn't holding my fork. "I didn't mean it in a mean way."

She clearly did.

"I'm sorry," David mumbled to me, and I just shook my head. "Alyssa, you're a bitch."

"Don't call her a bitch, man," Eli warned, and I rolled my eyes, as did David.

"She is a bitch. And you're a statutory rapist, so I guess you're perfect for each other," David remarked, a fire behind his eyes that just dared Eli to respond.

"Your girlfriend's basically a murderer, so I don't see much difference."

"Kids."

"He knows it's true," Alyssa smirked, watching David scramble for the right words. "He knows she's got a little of her mommy inside of her."

David seemed shellshocked, so I took over for him. "I may have a fucked up family, but I have never intentionally hurt someone just for attention because my ego is so small and fragile that someone else getting a compliment hits a little too close to home. It seems like you've got more serious problems than I do."

It got really quiet after I said that. Like, too quiet. No one knew exactly what to do. I had obviously come off as a sweet little innocent girl before that moment, but enough was enough.

"Now, if you'll excuse me," I fake smiled at her, grabbed my glass of wine and another piece of garlic bread, and went to cry in the bathroom.

I just read sharp objects and i just get amma vibes from alyssa so i kinda made her an attention seeking bitch

Xoxo abby