Chapter 7

"Your grace, you must wake up now."

"Mmmrhp."

"Lady Emma!" Gloria shrieked.

"What?!" the duchess sat up, looking about in panic. Gloria smiled her satisfaction.

"It's such a wonderful day, your grace. It would be a shame if you slept through it," Gloria smiled pleasantly and went to straighten the drapes, letting the warm light into the room.

She turned to find her employer staring at her as if she was demented.

Gloria suppressed the urge to grin.

"Shall I bring you some tea, your grace?"

"I suppose you could," Lady Emma responded grumpily.

"And your correspondences as well?"

"I don't see why not."

Gloria nodded and exited the chamber. Nicholas was there, waiting.

"Is she awake?" he asked, the tea tray with the invitations and such stacked neatly on it resting in his hands.

"Yes."

Gloria loved her employer, there was simply no other word for it. She'd seen how lonely she was and she'd longed for her to find someone who'd make her happy. So when she'd spied Lord Beresford—who was extremely handsome and dreamy and kind—she'd decided that she'd help her lady speed things a bit. Nicholas, her grace's butler in London was most useful in this regard.

He'd informed her this morning that a letter had arrived from the dowager marchioness of Waterford—Lord Garrett's Mother. Now they couldn't very well read what was in it so she'd had to wake Lady Emma.

She was dying to know what was in the missive.

Also, plotting with Nicholas was fun. He had been a little stuffy, as butlers were wont to be. But he was was also young, handsome and smitten with her, she thought with a secret smile.

"Thank you, Nicholas." she said, taking the tray from him.

"You are welcome. Although I would like something in return," he said.

"What would that be?" she asked innocently.

"A kiss for my troubles."

Gloria gasped. Then blushed.

"I will not kiss you," she huffed, flustered.

"You will. Now go on inside. Don't you want to know what's in the missive?" he grinned. Gloria blinked before mechanically doing as he said.

She was still dazed when she placed the tray by the duchess's bed side.

"That was quick," Lady Emma commented.

Gloria blinked. "The cook already had a pot running," she shrugged.

"Are you alright, my dear? You're very...pink," Lady Emma asked, looking concerned.

"Yes, your grace," Gloria nodded. The Lady shook her head slightly before taking the tea cup Gloria offered.

***********************

Emma felt a lot of things when she saw a letter from Garrett's mother lying on her tea tray. There was trepidation, anxiety and a heavy dose of curiosity.

She considered postponing opening the letter...it could be something terrible, after all. The fact that Garrett's family would be a part of their little scheme had never occurred to her.