Run For Your Life

Semifinals. Shiratorizawa Gakuen v/ Itachiyama Gakuen.

"The battle of the elite"

"I wonder if Sakura stands a chance against them. They won last time"

"Now that they know of all her tricks... wait, do they?"

Shiratorizawa worshipped her new serve

"Let's make some noise and scare them like we did last time" Yoshia was very excited.

"I doubt they'd sleep on that one" Kiyomi was as cautious as ever.

"Sakura, serve last" Kiyomi changed their rotation to accommodate Itachiyama's rotation and Sakura nodded.

The match began heavy with Itachiyama's serve. Aiko was plain crude. She didn't meet eyes with Sakura because of what happened but she wasn't hesitating in smacking the bile out of their guts.

5:8

They all braced for Sakura's serve. "Watch out for the impact sound" they knew her serves were fast so they relied on the sound of her hand impacting the ball as a checkpoint to read the ball's course.

"That's the problem" she internally smirked preparing for her new serve "I don't make a sound when I strike"

She threw the ball higher and jumped as high as she could, tilting her body and-

"CHHAAAAA!!!"

Itachiyama felt their head buzzing. Aiko glared at Sakusa who just looked away like he had nothing to do with it. He really had nothing to do with it, who would've thought she'd give it her own twist? Sakusa's spike was troublesome enough on its own but incorporating it in a serve... was dangerous.

6:8

"Sakura! NICE SERVE!" The boys screamed from the stands.

"It's boring without new things" her mind wandered as she spun the ball in her hand.

"Oh, let's try it" she mumbled to herself and the Coach who caught this was panicking "SAKURAA! YOU BETTER NOT MESS UP YOUR SERVE!!!!"

She gulped 'I really don't want to do a hundred serves later'

When the whistle blew this time she didn't run, her toss was also rather low as she swung her hand from below and sent the ball into the ceiling.

The coach looked like he'd jump from atop a building. Ushijima raised his brows in horror. Her team gawked at her and Tetsuro stumbled forward from his chair and grabbed the railing thinking she's lost it. "UNDERHAND SERVE?!!"

The lights from the ceiling blinded them making it really hard for them to receive. The ball gracefully bounced off the receiver's arms.

"WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" The girls hooted in surprise.

"SAKURA!!!!" The coach was on his knees holding onto his chest.

"You should try being more considerate towards coach, he's growing old, you know" Kiyomi smiled at her.

"Sumimasen, Sensei!" She bowed in apology. She was internally dancing though.

"Nice serve" Yoshia handed her the ball.

"One more nice serve!"

The same trick wouldn't work twice and she knew it. That serve was to break the heavy tension between the two teams and now her team looked much more relaxed.

"Sakura has evolved with her team" the coach smiled in satisfaction.

"Huh?" Ushijima looked at him. He knew she had but he didn't understand what the coach meant to say. "She's reading the team's momentum, trying to bring out the best in them. This weird serve was not to just topple them, it was so she could shake her team too. She hit two birds with one stone here" he said and Ushijima nodded in agreement. "But if it went wrong..."