"I thought I'd find you here." A female voice came from behind him.

Thinking he was alone, Rowdy swung around in a crouch. Only a flicker of pain showed on his face as he changed into full Ranger mode. The viciousness that glared at her through his green eyes made her blood run cold.

She stepped back and raised her hands, "I'm sorry, Rowdy, I didn't mean to startle you. I... I was worried when you disappeared and didn't come back. I came up as slow, and quiet as I could so I wouldn't interrupt... and... I did anyway. I'm sorry."

Rowdy slowly straightened and worked to slow his breathing. "You need to be careful comin' up behind someone like that. Especially someone with Special Forces trainin'. I could have hurt you... or worse. What were you thinkin', Bobbi?!" he turned his hand over exposing the lethal knife he held at the readiness.

Shaken by the quickness in which he had changed she began again to reevaluate the picture she had of him. She looked closely into his eyes. "Are you all right, Rowdy? I... I'm worried about you."

They looked at each other for a long moment. "We, haven't been alone to talk privately since that day in the hospital. I thought we decided that we would be try being together again, but we still seem to be a little, I don't know, uneasy with other."

He looked down and sighed. "I know Bobbs... I... don't like bein' at odds with you either. We need to make a decision here, we're either together or we're not." Rowdy said.

"I've never wanted anyone but you, Rowdy. I thought you knew that."

"I don't want anyone but you, Bobbi. We've got some fence mending to do and a year to catch up on. I... I'm... better now. I was so torn up over losing Brett. Anyway, it's not gonna be a cake walk, but if you'll be patient, I'm willin' to do my part." He said gently rubbing her cheek with the back of his fingers.

"I promise to do my share and then some, I'll be there for you Rowdy." she whispered. Rowdy turned, gave one last look at the stone. "Talk to ya later bro." And the two walked down the hill together, arm in arm.

Behind them, the two unseen Army Rangers smiled at each other and walked into the apple tree as the sweet scent of apple blossoms swirled around the couple as they kissed.

        ***

Brett sat at the desk in Beau's office going over the case files that Deputy Small Bear had delivered. He had been sitting there for hours and was no closer to putting the puzzle together. He didn't normally have trouble concentrating but, his mind kept wondering back to a silky, figure hugging top and tight jeans. Maybe if there hadn't been rhinestones on the back pockets that flashed and sparkled with every sway of those hips.

He returned his gaze to the file. The other shooter had gotten away or, thought he had. Nico had won the prisoner, Pedro, over, and had gotten some real information. Rodriguez had recieved information that two men on horse back would be checking the fence line in that quadrant. He and the other shooter had been sent there to watch and wait. If the cowboys had found the break in the wire they were to take them out at all costs. Pedro made an odd statement about not wanting to be the one that got away if the boss was to find him. He had muttered and crossed himself when Nico told him that the sniper had disappeared and then turned up dead. "Mamma Mia," he had said with a shudder.

Sheriff Koni had informed the man that not only had the other shooter been found but, the body had been barely recognizable.  "Si," the man had said.

Brett studied the crime scene photos. The body looked like it had been mauled.  He leaned back in the chair and rubbed his face. He heard a knock before Rowdy entered with Drina and Beau. "You need to be a part of this, Brett, you too Deputy Dan."