"You like it?" Alani murmurs, pulling the mouse by the tail to make it seem like it's alive to entice the cat.

Murph crouches low in a threatening stance. His tail does a few little flicks, then stills for a second. Just as Alani gives the mouse another little tug, he leaps into the air, claws out. Alani doesn't realize what that he wasn't going for the mouse, rather her hand, until it's too late.

Alani lets go of the mouse and jumps back, holding her scratched hand to her chest. "Hey! Bad cat!"

A laugh from the other side of the counter brings Alani's attention away from a satisfied-looking Murph. Peter stands there, an amused smile playing on his lips.

"I'm glad you're finding humor in my pain," Alani says as she turns away from the cat and leans against the counter. "You want your usual? Number five with pickles?"

"Don't forget to—"

"Smash it down real flat, I know," Alani says, rolling her eyes playfully. "Which is a weird request, by the way."

Peter pulls a face.

"But it's also kinda cute."

He smiles again.

Alani turns and gets Peter's order ready. Since her first day on the job, Alani has definitely sped up the process of getting orders ready, especially Peter's since he comes in so often and always gets the same thing. According to Delmar, Peter has been coming in more often since Alani's working there.

Once the order is bagged, Alani turns back to Peter and slides it across the counter as he hands over the money. Alani counts it, finding that there is an extra ten dollars. When she gives Peter a questionable look, he says, "It's a tip."

"You don't have to tip me, Peter." Alani tries to hand the extra ten dollars back, but he doesn't take it.

"I know, but your service impeccable," he compliments with a cheeky smile. "Plus, I still need to pay you back for the motel room and for breakfast a couple months ago."

"Fine." Alani begrudgingly pockets the money. "And thanks. You don't need to pay me back."

Peter shrugs in response. "Well, I'm going to go swing around for a while," he says, starting to walk towards the door. "Have fun with Murph."

She holds up her scratched-up hand and flips him off. He laughs, and when he leaves, Alani allows herself to let out a small chuckle as well.

Although Alani and Peter still tease each other, their relationship has changed. The feelings they share for each other have grown and blossomed into something that neither want to lose. They still make fun of each other, and Peter still stirs the butterflies in Alani's stomach, but it's so much more than just feelings between them. It's trust, dependability, shared experiences, affection, and so much more.

Speaking of affection, Alani still needs to figure out how to get Murph to like her. She picks up the toy mouse she dropped on the floor and tosses it at the lazy cat lying on the counter. He makes a small noise without opening his mouth.

The doors open and Alani looks away from the cat with an attitude. A smile breaks out on her face at the sight of a man she hasn't seen since he drove her to the hospital.