Parting Glass

As they pulled up to the parking lot, Andrew let them out at the door then drove around until he found a spot. Norman was still holding Emily when they all walked in. The moment the maître d saw them he raised his hand and snapped towards two waitresses who were standing around.

The waitresses immediately escorted the trio to a large table where all of the cast was seated. Emily sat at the head of the table with Scott Wilson on her left and Lauren Cohan on her right. Steven was seated next to Lauren. Norman sat next to Scott and Andrew next to him.

After everyone was seated the waiter brought out a bottle of champagne on the house. They talked and laughed about all of the good times they had spent on set with each other and how the second half of the season would be hard on everyone. Emily seemed to still be the "light in the darkness", as Norman had said in a behind the scenes interview about "Coda," because she kept everyone laughing by telling jokes, funny stories, and happy departure quotes.

Andrew, Norman, Steven, and Scott all rose holding their glasses high and tinking them with their spoons. Everyone grew quiet and they all looked towards the quartet. The four glanced at each other mouthing stuff no one else could make out.

Andrew spoke first, "We are gathered here..."

"Woah," Steven Cut him off, "This isn't a real funeral. Emily's still alive."

"I know but..."

"But what?" Norman smiled.

"I'm not very good at this."

Lauren stood with her glass and motioned for the men to sit, "My turn."

Lauren cleared her throat and waited for everyone to sit. After she was sure she could talk she smiled.
"Of all the money that e'er I had,
I spent it in good company,"

The men began an "Ohhhmmmm," and then picked up at
"And all the harm I've ever done
Alas it was to none but me,"

Everyone began to sing, "And all I've done for want of wit
To mem'ry now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be to you all

So fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate'er befalls
And gently rise and softly call
Good night and joy be to you all

Of all the comrades that e'er I had
They're sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They'd wish me one more day to stay
But since it fell unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I gently rise and softly call
Good night and joy be to you all

Fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate'er befalls
And gently rise and softly call
Good night and joy be to you all

But since it fell unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I gently rise and softly call
Good night and joy be to you all

Good night and joy be to you all."

Emily was laughing and in tears at the same time. She stood and hugged them all. Goddammit why was tonight her last show with them?

Emily grabbed her glass and downed it in a single gulp. Norman did likewise. As did Andrew. The cast finished the champagne and ordered another bottle. They talked and laughed about their time on set. Unbeknownst to Emily, she had lost count of her drinks, she had begun to fall into the realm of being shitfaced.

Emily rose, "I need to use the restroom."

She walked, stumbled towards the bathrooms. Emily made it into a stall and proceeded to puke her guts out. Now she realized she had had one too many parting glasses. When she finished Emily stood and walked out of the stall and was shocked that Norman was in the women's restroom.

"What are you doing here? This is the lady's room," Emily says.

"No it's not."

Emily stared at him for a minute and collected her thoughts. Oh shit. She had gone into the men's room by mistake. And the everyone probably saw her do it. Norman hugged her before wiping the corner of her mouth with a paper towel and led her out to the table.

"I thinks this is gonna be last call for Emily."

"Are you ok?" Lauren asked.

"Ye-" Emily hiccuped, "yeah."

"She's less sober than she started out today," Norman said.

"Well, maybe we should all call it a night," said Scott.

Andrew checked his watch, "It is 10:30. I think we should turn in."

They all said their goodbyes and went to their individual cars. Norman walked Emily to the cab he'd called and they both got in. He gave the cabbie Emily's apartment address. The driver started off towards home. Emily rested her head on Norman's shoulder and closed her eyes.

She was awakened by Norman twenty minutes later when they reached her apartment. Norman paid and they got out. He walked her up the steps and to her living room. It was now 11:00 and he was tired.

"How are you going to get home if the cab is gone?"

"Andy's picking me up in the morning," Norman said.

"Where are you going to sleep?"

Norman pointed at her couch. The apartment was small and quaint. It had a living room, a kitchen, a half bath and a full bathroom. There was a tv on the wall, a couch, a desk in the corner, and several armchairs in the livingroom. The kitchen had an oven, refrigerator, a sink, cabinets, an island/bar combo, and a round four place table. The bedroom had a queen-sized bed a dresser, a closet, a vanity table, and a night stand.

"Why?" Emily asked.

"Because I can't leave you here alone when you're drunk," he replied.

Norman led her to the bedroom and helped her sit on the bed propped up against the headboard. Emily raised a questioning eyebrow.

"What?" Norman said.

"Am I going to sleep in this dress?" Emily asked.

"No, but I'm going to wait till you sober up just a bit so you can change your own clothes."

"Why?" Emily challenged.

Norman thought his response over. How did he reply and not look like an ass.

"I don't know," he said.

Emily tried to stand, but she started to fall the minute her feet touched the ground. Norman caught her.

"Woah," Norman said, "easy. This isn't a race."

Emily gagged. And now it was a race. Norman walked her to the bathroom and the toilet. She threw up right when she was halfway over the toilet and halfway over Normans shoes.

"Sorry," she said.

"It's fine," Norman said.

He waited until he was sure Emily was finished throwing up. Norman then led her to her dresser where she could get some pyjamas. Emily got her pyjamas and went back to the bathroom and closed the door. Five minutes later she walked out and got in bed.

"You good?" Norman asked. He was now barefoot and without his tie and jacket.

"Yeah," Emily said, now in her pyjamas and without makeup.

She lay down on her side and closed her eyes. Norman turned off the lights and went to the livingroom. He dimmed the lights and sat down on the couch. He was tired. He closed his eyes and drifted to sleep.