Chapter 7:Don't Let Go

Today was our last day in Baltimore and the day I was adopting Harmonee. Kidada was coming back with us so she was with Afeni, packing her things. I was shaking at the fact that this whole promise I made to Kidada might not go right. Devante reassured that his cousin would be able to get Harmonee to Kidada in three hours but something was telling me that it was gonna be harder than that. Devante pulled in front of a office building, parking the car.

I held the picture in my hand, my leg shaking. He put his hand on my thigh, stopping me. "I promise, both Kidada and Harmonee are gonna be on the plane"he said. I smiled, looking back at Calvin, who was pretty much knocked out. "Should we bring him in"he said.

I nodded. I grabbed my bag and got out of the car, going to the backseat and opening the door. I unhooked Calvin out of his carseat, picking him up. He woke up, laying his head on my shoulder. "Mommy, where are we going"he said.

"Me and Daddy have to go talk to some people. You go back to sleep"I said, rubbing his head as we walked inside. Devante stopped at a desk, talking to the lady before grabbing my hand and leading me down the hallway. We stopped at a door, he knocked on it. I heard a "Come in" on the other side of the door. Devante opened the door as I followed.

There was a lady sitting at the desk, resembling Dalvin. She got up when she saw Devante. "Hey cuzzo"she said, giving him a hug. Devante pulled away before kissing her cheek. "How you been doing, I heard you and D been doing good in Atlanta"she said, sitting down at her desk.

He sat down and I followed, letting Calvin slouch on my lap. "Yea, it's been going good. A little slow but it's good"he said. "But, since when has Dalvin had a baby, and another one on the way. And a whole wife. We ain't get no invitations"she said. He chuckled, "Aye, you gon have to call Dalvin. The number's the same"he said. She rolled her eyes.

"But I see Dalvin isn't the only one with a family"she said. He smiled at me. "This is my girlfriend Jamila and our son Calvin"he said. I smiled. "This is my cousin Shayla"he said.

"It's nice to meet you Shayla"I said. She smiled before grabbing her glasses and putting them on. "So, are y'all here for bring home a little one"she said. Devante looked over at me. "Yes, actually. We wanted a little girl, Calvin has always wanted a little sibling"I said with a smile.

She grabbed a notepad. "Okay, and you have a specific age range"she said. "Around 9 or 10. We've actually been looking at one specifically"I said. "okay, do you have a picture or name"she said. I reached into my purse, pulling out the picture.

I slid it across the table. She looked at it, her smile fading. "Harmonee James"she mumbled, putting the picture down. "You know her"I said. "Yea, everyone in the system knows here. Her mother has been trying to get her back since they took her. She's young and doesn't have a job. Without that, there's no way she can get that child back"she said.

I looked over at Devante, his eyes locked with mine. She took off her glasses, "What's actually going on here"she said, narrowing her eyes. "What do you mean"Devante said. "Cousin don't play, everyone knows that you like to make babies, not adopt them. Both you and Dalvin are like that, nasty tails"she said. I guess I had to be honest.

"Okay, Harmonee's mother is my sister, Kidada. She was taken away from her and since then she's been trying to get her back. I agreed to help her get on her feet and apart of that was getting her daughter back. I know y'all wouldn't let her have her so I decided to adopt"I said. She sighed, "Even if you did adopt her, the person taking care of her needs to be fit enough. Kidada doesn't have a job and stable home"she said. "She does now. I recently fired my hairstylist and she's moving into a fully paid apartment in Atlanta. Everything is taken care of"I said. She was hesitant when she went to her file cabinet, pulling out a file. She opened it, looking through it.

"Just your luck, she's still in a home. Been there since they took her, I'll take you to her"she said, closing the file. I smiled. We left the office and I called Kidada, asking her to me meet me at the group home. The group home was about 20 minutes away from office and I had butterflies in my stomach the whole time. Calvin of course was still asleep.

I wasn't sure how Kidada was gonna react to seeing Harmonee again, after all. It has been 5 years. We got to the group home, pulling up next to Shayla. "I'll stay in here with Calvin, you go do what you gotta do"he said, grabbing my hand and squeezing it. I smiled lightly as I leaned over and pecked his lips.

I looked back at Calvin, seeing him sleeping. "I'll be back"I mumbled as I grabbed my bag and got out. Shayla was waiting by the door. I walked up to her, adjusting my bag on my arm. "Are you ready"she said. I nodded.

She smiled lightly as she opened the door, walking in. I quickly heard the sounds of children walking around giggling. It looked like a daycare but with a bunch of beds. Shayla walked to the front desk, I stood next to her. "Hi, I'm Shayla Moore from Child Protective Services. I'm here to pick up Harmonee James"she said.

I picked with my nails nervously. "She's actually right over there. Poor girl hasn't left that spot since she got here"the lady said. I looked over, seeing her sitting in the chair next to a window, looking out at the parking lot. She was wearing a dress, her curly hair in a ponytail. I went over to her, pulling a chair next to her.

I sat my bag on the floor. "Hi Harmonee"I said. She looked over at me before looking back at the window. "Hi"she peeped. "Do you know who I am"I said.

"No. Are you here to adopt me"she said. "I actually am. You see, I'm you Auntie Jamila. I'm your mother's sister and she's gonna be here any second to come get you"I said. She turned to me, "So, my mother is coming to get me. What if they take me away again"she said. I rubbed her head, "I promise that no one will ever take you away from her again"I said. The lady from the desk came into the room.

"Harmonee sweetie, go get your things packed. You're leaving today"she said. She smiled and jumped up, running down the hall. I got up, walking back into the lobby. "You know, that's the first time I've seen that child smile since she's been here. She really misses her mother"the lady said. I was signing the final papers when Harmonee came running down the hall with a backpack.

I kneeled down in front of her. "Sweetie, where's the rest of your things"I said. "That's all she came in with. They only let her leave with a few clothes and toiletries"the lady said. I sighed. "That's okay, we'll get you all new stuff when we get home"I said.

"Are we going to grandma Afeni's house"she said. "No actually, you're coming with me, your mom, uncle and a bunch of other family. You're going home with me to Atlanta"I said. "Will I be able to see her"she said. I smiled, "She's on her way your mother"I said, she smiled.

I heard the front door fly open. "Where is she, where is Harmonee"I heard Kidada yell. I got up and stepped aside, letting her see her. "Mommy!!"Harmonee shreaked as she ran to her. Kidada picked her up, hugging her tightly.

"I missed you so much sweetie"she said as she cried. "Mommy, it's my birthday"she said. Kidada laughed, "I know sweetheart, it's gonna be your best birthday ever"she said. She put her down, kissing her forehead. "Hey birthday girl, why don't we got to your favorite restaurant. You can get whatever you want. We can go to the mall and get whatever gifts you want"I said.

She looked up at Kidada, "Mommy, can I"she said with puppy dog eyes. She chuckled, "Of course Mani. Like auntie said, anything you want"she said, rubbing her hair. Afeni was close behind Kidada. "Go say hi to grandma Afeni"she said.

She ran to Afeni as she hugged her. Kidada's eyes filled with tears as she hugged me. "You don't know how grateful I am for you"she said. "Don't mention it, that's what big sisters are supposed to do"I said. She pulled away smiling.

"Go, enjoy your daughter"I said. She smiled before going back to Afeni and Harmonee. Things don't look so bad for me and my little sister.