FOUR

- Chapter Four -
"If you're gonna take forever, I'll do it myself."

"I THINK ITS GREAT that we're helping the new kid but we also need to think about our own safety

"I THINK ITS GREAT that we're helping the new kid but we also need to think about our own safety. I mean, he's bleeding all over and you guys know there's an AIDS epidemic happening right now as we speak. I mean my mom's friend in New York City got it just by touching a dirty pole in the subway and she got AIDS blood into her system through a hangnail, a hangnail! And they can amputate legs and arms. But how do you amputate- how do you amputate a waist?"

"Jesus Christ." Amanda Bower mumbled with an eye roll from the back of Stanley Uris' bike, her gaze searching for the smallest boy who had not stopped rambling about health from the moment the boys at the sewer decided to help Ben and Amanda with their wounds. "Does he ever stop talking?"

Stanley didn't reply. That was fair, Amanda presumed, since they were not friendly towards one another to have a proper conversation and she was mainly just speaking to herself. Yes, she was on the back of his bike and clinging onto his shoulders so she didn't fall off when they skirted around corners but that was because Bill Denbrough took Ben, Eddie didn't want to let anyone on his bike and Richie flat out refused to have her on his own.

It was only slightly awkward when he had called 'not it' and everyone turned to Stan who sighed with narrowed eyes at his jokester friend. Amanda simply shrugged and waited for the boy to mount his own bike before joining him, not at all caring about the obvious disdain he held for her. Him and his curly hair could glare at her all they wouldn't, it wasn't much different to how everybody else treated her.

The ride into town wouldn't be that long anyway, not on a bike as quick as the Stanley's. The journey took about twenty-five minutes from the Bowers house yet they lived on the outside of Derry and Amanda had been riding Princess Sparkle who was presumably getting fixed by William Denbrough as they voyaged through the town.

Amanda supposed that if she didn't know the evil that lived in Derry, namely her brother and his friends but also the whole community who looked down at her, she would find her town quite beautiful. The quaint little shops on the sidewalks with tall, black lampposts decorated with bouquets of flowers and the simple tidiness of the streets.

All very peaceful and picturesque...then you talked to the people and all thoughts of beautiful Derry disappeared from your head. As they passed one particular street, the one with the town house, Amanda made sure to face the other way. Her aunt, uncle and cousin from their fathers side were visiting Derry for the Summer and Amanda didn't want them to spot her riding on the back of some guy's bike.

They could tell her dad. She wouldn't put it past them, Connor's almost as bitchy as Henry. Not much of a bully immediately but Henry influenced him in a terrible way, so he was a bit of an idiot. Amanda tried her best to be friends when they were younger, but he had once tripped her up in a park and caused her to cut her chin open whilst her mother rushed up to her and tended to her wounds.