one. the fourth floor

Start from the beginning

"Who is that?" Agent Derek Morgan asked no one in particular. Spencer Reid scrunched his eyebrows as if he was sweeping his brain for any recollection of the girl.

"That's Cecilia Ryder, or was it Reeves?" Emily Prentiss asked herself. "I don't remember which one, but she does have two last names. She's from downstairs."

"Is she a transfer?" Spencer turned to her, eyebrows still scrunched.

"No idea, pretty boy. Guess we will find out soon. We need to go though, JJ is waiting to brief us. And, you might want to fix your hair Spence. Just in case she's a transfer." Her remark brought both of the two boys out of their trance as they followed Emily to the briefing room, Spencer taking a quick detour to the men's room.

Just above them, two quiet knocks were heard from the inside of Aaron Hotchner's office, and he muttered out a 'Come in.' He didn't look up from the case file in his hand until he heard the quiet voice of the person who had been waiting on the other side of his door.

"Agent Hotchner? I'm Cecilia Ryder, the transfer from downstairs." Her voice wasn't steady as she spoke to the intimidating man in front of her.

"All I have here is a Cecilia Reeves, would that be you Agent?" He recalled the only transfer he approved this month from memory.

"Yes sir, I go by Ryder if you don't mind." The girl swallowed the lump in her throat and the man had yet to crack a smile.

"Not at all. The rest of the team is in the briefing room with our latest case. Now, since it's your first day, would you like to join us in the field or would you like to work on the case from here?" He stood up from his desk as he spoke.

"I'd like to join in the field, if that's alright with you." She shook his hand as he held it out to her.

"Of course. Welcome to the team." He dropped her hand gently. "You can set your stuff down at any empty desk and then I'll walk with you to the briefing room."

Cecilia followed his directions and set her stuff down at the first open desk her eyes landed on. Grabbing her notebook and pencil before turning around to follow Agent Hotchner. Once they reached the room, Cecilia was met with many unfamiliar faces, in fact she could only identify one person in the room, which made her heart pound in her chest, but she ignored the feeling.

"Everyone, this is our new transfer, Agent Cecilia Ryder. Ryder, this is Emily Prentiss, David Rossi, Doctor Spencer Reid, Derek Morgan, and Jenifer Jareau."

"Hello, nice to meet you all." Cecilia's awkward smile formed on her lips as she shook everyone's hands and earned a few smiles back.

"You can call me JJ." A pretty blond gave Cecilia a soft smile.

Cecilia took a seat next to Rossi, before her eyes met Spencer's to which they smiled at each other in a way that the girl couldn't decipher was awkward or not.

"What have we got?" Hotch spoke from where he was standing.

"This is Delilah Grennan. She was bludgeoned and raped during the night at her home in Lower Cannaan, Ohio." JJ flicked a screen on which showcased the brutal crime scene photos of the team's latest case, to which Cecilia didn't even flinch.

"Lower where?" Prentiss retorted.

"Small town 40 miles outside of Cincinnati." JJ continued.

"Staging the body face-up with the arms across the chest like that." Spencer cut in questionably.

"Ritual." Derek walked to the table. "Nice hair by the way." He spoke to Spencer as he scuffed the boys hair earning him and annoyed 'thanks' and a faint blush.

"There's more." JJ got the conversation back on topic. "Small puncture wounds on her stomach. Note the lack of blood."

"Post-mortem." Cecilia spoke up causing the team to look at her, her eyes were dead set on the screen. "I've seen that pattern before."

"Were there any other victims?" Prentiss asked while Cecilia turned to her notebook to sketch the odd, but familiar pattern of the puncture wounds on the victims stomach.

"Kind of." The whole team scrunched in confusion, but JJ continued. "Victimology and signature match a serial killer from the same town 10 years ago, 6 victims spanning over 10 months. He called himself"—

"The Angel Maker." Both Cecilia and Aaron muttered at the same time, him choosing to continue. "I remember that case."

Cecilia had remembered reading about it when she was a teenager.

"They caught that guy." Reid mumbled.

"And executed him." Rossi finished and Cecilia's brow peaked in interest.

"That's right. He was put to death by lethal injection a year ago yesterday." JJ spoke.

"So we're looking for a copycat." Morgan stated.

"An annual one?" Cecilia questioned.

"Honoring the anniversary of his hero's death." Rossi nodded to the newbie in agreement.

"It says here they found semen at the crime scene. Perhaps locals will get a DNA match when they run it through VICAP?" Reid skimmed the case file as he spoke.

"Well, that's where it gets weird." JJ leaned forward. "They ran it already and they got a match, too."

"Well, if they already have a name why'd they call us?" Emily turned to JJ as Cecilia eyed the case file that had been passed to Rossi.

"Oh you've gotta be kidding. The match they got back on the DNA is to a Cortland Bryce Ryan." Rossi read the results out loud as the name clicked in Cecilia's head.

"The Angel Maker." She spoke bluntly.

"Wheels up in 30." Hotch exited the room. Emily Prentiss turned to the girl.

"Welcome to the team, Cecilia."