Part 2: Brightest Sky, an alien novella

Ch. 11

*Sky

Rudy muttered, but let her pass. As Sky went out, Joe came down the hall and stopped at the bar to watch her, too. She pointed at the stools and then at him before letting the door close behind her. She couldn't see through the fogged glass into the dark club, but knew they could see her. The gusts of cold air stopped blowing, and the sizzling heat of the noon sun beat downwards and upwards from the concrete.

She pushed the phone icon to call Pepper, the only girl she knew by her stage name. Or her real name was perfect as a stage name. Sky shrugged mentally. They were all hiding who they really were, even if it was out in the open, and mostly undressed.

"Come on, let's make this fast," she whispered as the phone rang.

Pepper picked up. "Hey, Sky, what's up?"

"Hey, Pepper. I know this is short notice, but I'm at the club. Can I take your shift and you come in for me in two days? It's important."

"I don't know. I have my Science Daddy tonight, if he shows."

"I'll work him and give you half, but not so good he doesn't want you the next time. Please? This really helps me out."

"Shit, girl. I'm at my man's, and I won't lie, I'd rather dance this pole, anyway. All right, if you give me half," Pepper said.

Sky mentally fist pumped. "You got it. Have fun." She swiped to hang up and lifted her head to the sun. The weakness and trembling were gone. She was strong. She was in control. She made the decisions that shaped her life, and she would give Joe a chance to prove himself. Worst case-scenario, he would disappear after she gave him the information from the lab guy. Or as Pepper called him, Science Daddy. No loss.

Her heart pinched at the thought of him disappearing. Guys waltzed in and out of her life everyday and she never thought about them again. She took their money and nothing else.

But if Joe left her, after saving her life from her attackers? After she pulled him out of the desert and zapped him with that thing to bring him back to life?

After that kiss?

More heat than the desert sun warmed her suddenly. For the first time in ages, she wanted more from a man than his dollar bills. She squirmed thinking of the feel of him between her legs in her dressing room. She remembered when he was naked in the bath, and a flash of yearning hit her like electricity in the pussy.

Fuck, she wanted him. That was different. She needed the cold air of the club, fast.

Her hand touched the door, and another hand landed beside hers on the push handle. A man who'd come up behind her was holding the door shut. She backed up a space, immediately whipping out her phone to call Rudy.

He barked a laugh, shaking his head. "I think you know a couple of friends of mine. You're Lolita, am I right?"

Her stage name. Fuck. Sky swiped for Rudy, refusing to answer him. The phone flew from her hands and before she could scream, the man had twisted her into a headlock. He dragged her towards the side of the building.

"You are one sweet, little bitch, I'll give you that," he said.

The air flow was cut off from her head, she had only seconds before she passed out. Instincts kicked in. He had her firmly around the neck, but he wasn't protecting his balls or his feet. She stomped. His step faltered as he cried out, but then he flung her headfirst into the wall. White hot pain exploded in her skull. Stunned, she dropped to the ground, arms crossed in front of her face, braced for the kick or hit that would surely come.

Gravel crunched. A grunt and a sickening splat.

Sky blinked. She wasn't hurt. She lifted her eyes, squinting into the blinding sun. The black form of a man's silhouette blocked the light and she flinched, ready to throw a handful of grit in his face.

"Sky." Gentle hands picked her up to her feet. Joe held her. On the ground, the man who grabbed her lay crumpled in an unhealthy tangle.

"Is he dead?" she asked, numb.

"I don't know." He turned to lead her to the club.

Rudy slammed through the door and rushed over to her. "Are you all right? Damn it all, this is what I was talking about!" He kicked the prone man, heedless of whether he was causing more damage. The man groaned and rolled over. He waved his hands for mercy. Rudy almost kicked him again, but changed his mind mid-swing. "Get inside, Sky, I'll take care of this. I don't like what's going on here." He glared at Joe, but Sky hugged him tighter, burying her head in his chest.

"Do we need to leave? Are you hurt? What can I do?" Joe's questions rained down, Then he growled, "I should have hit him more."

She was worried he's stop asking questions and go back to kill that guy, so she clung to him tighter. "Take me to my dressing room. My head stings, can you check if I'm bleeding?" She patted her scalp gingerly where the attacker had thrown her at the brick wall. Luckily, he hadn't really tried to hurt her—yet. He must have wanted some kind of revenge for his friends in the parking lot.

"Let me see." Joe led her into the small room and had her sit in front of him on the chair.

Ed knocked at the door. He was holding a bag of ice, as he always did whenever there was a scuffle. Hidden weapons filled his pants, just in case. He was always there to help the girls, no matter what happened.

"Do you need the first aid kit?" he asked.

Joe stepped aside to let her answer. She couldn't say why at that exact moment, but the gesture broke her heart in the best way. He was letting her speak, even if that meant another man would help her some. He didn't care about himself or his status with her. He beat the shit out of that abusive asswipe in the parking lot, but didn't ask for any recognition or thanks.

She did a quick mental sweep. Except for the dull throb on the top of her head, she was fine. All she could do was shake her head as she took the ice-pack from Ed.

He tapped the door frame to say he understood. "Let me know if you change your mind. I think Rudy sent him packing, but it was your friend who noticed something was up." He nodded at Joe and ducked into the hall.

Joe kicked the door closed, but didn't say anything. He gingerly tipped her head forward to comb through her thick hair with his fingers, looking for injuries.

"I see some scrapes and there's a bump. But no blood. How is your eyesight?"

"Good," she said.

"And your ears? Any ringing? What about nausea?"

She took his hands to lower them in her lap. "How do you know about health stuff? You don't understand the most basic things but then ask me specific questions like that."

"I want to know everything there is about you. I have some factual information about your kind, but I want every single detail about you."

"Joe, I can't—"

She broke off. In a flash of understanding, she saw that she could. She pulled him in and off balance for a kiss. He was hesitant at first, probably afraid of hurting her. When she opened his lips and her tongue darted between his teeth, he kissed her harder. The scrape of his stubble rubbed her chin, bringing water to her mouth.

Letting go of his hands, she reached for her shirt. He sat back on his heels as she lifted the faded tee over her head, and then unhooked her lacy bra. She drew the straps down her arms, leaving her breasts naked.

How many times a week did she take off her clothes for men in a crowded room, or a individual show, but she never felt so exposed, so truly bare until now, with this man?

He didn't move. He didn't blink. If anything, his expression grew sterner. His jaw was clenched and a vein ticked at his temple.

She'd made a mistake.

*** A mistake or the beginning of something? Hit the star and keep reading! ***