Chapter 2: Kindergarten

Start from the beginning

"Hello, everybody," the elderly man greeted the students in the classroom.

"Good morning, Mr Principal!!" they shouted in unison.

A young woman with hair pulled back into a slick ponytail left her desk and approached us.

"Hi, you must be Jotaro and (Y/N). My name is Watanabe-sensei," she smiled gleefully, handing us our sunflower shaped name tags. "Welcome to the Sunflower Class!"

I mimicked her smile. "Hi!!"

I shouted excitedly at her, while Jotaro simply waved.

There were many loud whispers around the room as I turned to the whole class, my grin spreading from ear to ear.

"Why don't you tell the class a bit about yourselves?" Watanabe-sensei said, gesturing at us to follow her to the front of the classroom.

"Jojo, you go first!" I said, dragging his arm so that he was in front of me.

"Ah, o-okay," he began stuttering like crazy. "H-h-h-hi... My name is Jotaro K-Kujo and... I like fish."

"Hi!! My name is (Y/N) Yamamoto; you may call me (N/N) I also like fishes, and I'm friends with Jotaro!" I introduced myself in a cheerful manner.

"Thank you very much, (Y/N) and Jotaro. You may sit down at the table at the back," Watanabe-sensei pointed to a small round table near the end of the room.

We followed her instructions and skipped over to the table, where two other students, one girl with two pigtails and a boy with smooth, brown hair were already sitting. They addressed themselves as Himari and Riku.

"Okay," Watanabe-sensei clapped her hands together. "Kids, we will be learning basic hiragana."

A short while later, a bell rang. Jotaro and I followed all of the students as they ran outside the classroom door. But when we saw them pushing and shoving each other out of the way, we decided to stay behind until everyone was out.

Soon enough, everyone was gone except for a few others playing with trucks and dolls in the classroom. Jotaro and I left the classroom and noticed an enormous garden at the back of the playground.

"Hey Jojo, let's go eat there!" I suggested, pointing at the apple tree on top of the hill.

"Wait!"

He ran to his assigned cubby and reached into his yellow crossbody bag inside, taking out two packs of niboshi.

"Here, my mom packed an extra one for you," he said, extending his hand with a niboshi in it.

"Thank you!" I beamed brightly as I took the dried fish from his hands.

Once I did, I can't help but notice a light pink tint on his cheeks.

I took his hand, and together we sprinted to the apple tree. There, we sat and ate our snacks together.

After a few minutes of chatting, I heard footsteps behind us. When I looked behind, two girls were coming towards us with their eyes narrowed.

Once they reached the top of the hill, the girls crossed their arms and stood rigidly right in front of us.

"Hi!" I waved and flashed them an innocent smile.

Instead of answering, the girls looked at us suspiciously with their lips puckered and noses scrunched.

"Why do your eyes have a brown that looks like honey thingy in the middle?" the girl with long, bright orange hair questioned suspiciously.

"Also, why are Jotaro's eyes blue?" the other asked.

"Well, we're only half Japanese!" I replied. "I drank a lot of honey and he ate too many blueberries, so his eyes turned blue!"

"Oh, okay," the first girl said, nodding her head.

Their expressions softened, and their skeptical voices turned into kinder, sweet ones as they said, "You guys can sit with us at lunchtime! Bye-bye!"

Once they were down the hill, Jotaro and I looked at each other and burst out laughing.

Immediately after, the bell rang once again. We followed everyone back into the classroom and took a seat at our desk.

This time, we made tiny sculptures with clay. Watanabe-sensei went around the classroom to pass out the clay, giving everyone just enough to fit in their palms.

When she got closer to me, I cupped my hands and held it out for her to put the clay on. She dropped it on my palm.

The grey clay she handed me was cool to the touch. When I turned to Jotaro, he had already begun to roll his into a ball, then proceeded to pound it flat with his fist. Then, he grabbed a star clay cutter and pressed it onto the flat clay.

Moving the extra clay away, he said to me, "Look! I made a starfish!"

I giggled in response. "I'm gonna make one too!"

Taking the clay cutter from him, I made my own starfish. With a small wooden dowel, I made eyes and used the excess clay to mold a little bow tie for it.

"It's Signor Rossi!" I explained. I carefully placed the tie on the starfish, like it was the last piece to a domino structure. "I made him into a starfish!"

Jotaro shot me a dubious look. "Who's that?"

"You don't know? I see him on T.V. all the time in Italy!"

"Hm... Maybe he doesn't like Japan?"

"Aw, then I'm gonna miss him."

At lunch, we went to the canteen. The two girls from before waved us over.

"Hey! What are your names?" I asked them.

"My name is Mizumi, and that's Aimi" The long-haired girl responded.

"I'm (N/n)!" Then, turning to Jotaro, I said, "This is Jojo!"

"Call me Jotaro," he replied.

"Uh, sure..." Aimi frowned at him as we slid into their table. "What do you guys have for lunch?"

"I have fried chicken and fried rice that my mom made for me," Jotaro said, tilting his bento so the girls could see what's inside.

"That looks so good! What about you, (Y/n)?" She looked over at my bento.

"I have soba and rice balls," I answered, already eating. "How about you guys?"

"Oh, I have tempura and miso!" Mizumi chirped.

"I've got fish and fried rice!" the other replied.

Together, we ate lunch. Mizumi and Aimi firing question after question about how different Jotaro and I looked compared to other classmates, like "Do your parents also have blue eyes?" and "Exactly how many blueberries did you eat?" "If I drank a lot of honey will my eyes be like yours too?" I tried my best to answer them, but I could tell Jotaro was getting annoyed at them.

"Okay! Aimi and I are going to go to the koi pond. Wanna come with?" Mizumi offered.

"It's okay!" I quickly said. "We're going to the playground."

Their questions began to seem like an interrogation. It was also starting to get on my nerves. My rejection didn't seem to bother them at all, as they simply smiled and left.

Jotaro and I were swimming in the monkey bars until a group of boys approached us, looking at me with a smug grin.

"Oi, Jotaro!" one of them called out. "Why are you with a weak girl? Play with us!"

Jotaro let go of the bar he was holding. I followed him down and glared at the boys.

"I'm pretty sure (Y/n) is stronger than you guys!" he yelled at them. "She can even lift me!"

"Oh, yeah?" a boy sneered.

He began approaching me with a fist raised.

"Can she punch like this?!"