The Color Blue

My name is Rosette. I live in a place called Perfection. It's a country. I used to think that I was the only one who could...think. But I was wrong.

It all started early one morning. I was on my way to the Learning Center. Most people would take the bus. Even though the Learning Center was four miles away,I walked. I liked to look at the buildings. I loved to stare up at the blue sky through the thick glass dome.

Unfortunatly, an Officer saw me staring up and wondering. The Officer walked over to me. "What is your name?" she demanded. I said, "My name is Rosette Calsod." The Officer must have been annoyed because I didn't show any fear around her. "Come with me!" she ordered.

I followed her through the busy streets. I knew where she was taking me. It was the Thinking House. The government got rid of everyone who was a risk to them. They thought that brainwashing didn't always work.

I didn't think she would actually take me to the Thinking House. I was only 14 years old!

As we appoached the building, my legs felt like they had turned to jelly. I kept on walking though. We then entered the building.

A lady who looked like she was in her late thirties was sitting at a desk. The name tag pinned on her shirt read 'Martha.' "What is it this time?" she asked. "I'm busy!" "I found a thinker!" the Officer said. "She was staring up at the sky! She was thinking! This girl might gave been plotting! It could RUIN the perfection of the whole country!" Martha said, "She's only, like, twelve!"

I knew that I was short for my age, but I wasn't twelve! I was fourteen! "Oh my gosh!" I yelled. "You stupid idiots! You don't even know what a twelve year old looks like! I'm fourteen!"

They gasped. "Security!" Martha yelled! Two muscular guards walked out of a door and took me to a jail cell. "Your trial is tomorrow," a guard mumbled.

It was then that I realized something very important. They were going to kill me. Escape would be hard. Escaping the country would be even harder considering that there was a huge glass dome surrounding the country.

"Oh no," I mumbled to myself. What had I done?! Life was so unfair! Why couldn't I just have been born normal? After I had that thought, I regretted it. Why would I even wish to be a government zombie even for a second!?

I kept thinking. There were so many questions. What would happen if I did escape? They would track me down and capture me again. What was so bad and staring up at the sky? Was thinking a crime?

Why had I looked up at sky anyway? I loved the color blue.

"Everything bad happens to me," I said. I thought no one could hear me when I said that, but I then noticed a boy in the cell next to mine.

"Bad stuff happens to me," he whispered. "I've been here for about a year. I didn't put my helmet on at the Learning Building. It couldn't send any messages to my brain that way. I had a headache and I didn't want it to get worse! That was it. They took me here." "My trial is tomorrow," I said. "That's what they told me," he said. "Anyway, we'll both be here for a while, so we might as well get to know each other. My name is Hector, but I don't like my name so people call me Don, which is my middle name. So who are you and why are you here?" "I'm Rosette," I said. I explained why I was there. "Wow," he said. "That just proves how terrified society is now!" This might sound strange, but we both laughed when he said that!

"Do a lot of people come here?" I asked. "Of course," Don replied. "Some people are here now. They just don't talk much. There are other other jail rooms, too. When I first came here, there was a group of about twenty people here! They all had shouted stuff at an officer. I don't know if they went to prison... or worse..."

Suddenly, a guard walked in. "Hector Kalsmith! Time for your trial!" He led Don out of his cell. "Don!" I yelled. "You can't let them take you like that! DON!"

He didn't fight them and he didn't try to get away! He just let the guard drag him along like a sack of potatos!

I fell asleep from complete exhaustion after that.

I woke up when a guard shouted, "Rosette Calsod! Time for your trial!"