"Somebody has a lot on his mind today," the helper says. I smile and look up to find Josh Brown, my best friend, eyeing me from above.

"I was just daydreaming."

"Daydreaming about Sarah and you," Josh scoffs, he takes a few of my books as we walk.

I smile, returning my gaze to the ground. My cheeks turn tomato red as I fight back a blush.

As we walk through the corridor, everybody greets Josh but doesn't greet me. It is as if the people cannot even see me walk with him and I would have it no other way.

Josh adjusts his biker glasses, the goggles' lenses are shaded black, keeping his black hair held back. They keep it from lying on his face, but he wears them for no such purpose.

Josh just wears the goggles because he thinks they look cool. Josh always has a bandanna hanging from his back pocket. He never goes a day without his goggles.

Everybody is dispersing, taking their routes home. Josh and I leave the school grounds after a quick stop at my locker. We embark on our walk home.

We hear only the sound of our feet on the ground as we walk. My gaze is on the ground, something I have been doing much lately. Josh keeps looking at me as we walk. He has noticed the change in my attitude ever since my father died.

"Are your parents going to come home as late as they usually do?" I ask.

"Yes, you know, as late as they usually do," Josh sighs "I enjoy getting gifts and money from them but I'd at least love them to be around every once in a while."

I nod, placing my hand on his shoulder, keeping it there long enough to make him look at me. He looks at me and sees the 'it's-going-to-be-okay' look I give him.

"What if my father isn't dead?" I ask, kicking a stone around hoping to reach home with it. My head jumps up as if the idea just explodes in my mind.

"What do you mean?" Josh asks, his eyebrows furrowed and gaze fixed on me.

"I mean, they never recovered his body. What if he survived the car crash?"

"He wouldn't just disappear if he did, he would be here with you." Josh asserts, "You know your father, he would do anything to be with you."

"It's possible, the car burnt to a measure that they couldn't determine if someone was in the car or not."

Josh shakes his head. 

"You can't live your life hoping he will come back. If you want to sort out your life, the first step is moving on."

"I guess you're right," my head dropping again.

Josh looks at me with pitiful eyes. He must feel bad for destroying the little hope I had got. I smile, trying to let him know that all is well and he shouldn't worry.

Josh picks up his speed, noticing this, I follow his lead, increasing mine. "We're almost there," he beams, anticipation drawn all over his face. He reeks of it.

"Somebody is in a rush today," I mock, trying my best to imitate Josh's voice.

"Using my own lines and voice against me are we?" He mocks, giving me a shoulder jerk, "I must have forgotten to tell you I got a new video-game."

I roll my eyes.

"If it's anything like the last game you bought, I swear I'll shoot you." 

My eyes widen as I quickly realise that I can't quite tell him why I'm in no rush to go home. I cross my fingers behind my back, hoping he doesn't question why.