Chapter 1, Miles Away

A/N: This is my first fanfiction, sorry if it's bad. Anyway, flashbacks will be in italics, each chapter name will be a name of a song I like or lyrics that I think fit the idea of the chapter. This one is from When You Can't Sleep At Night by Of Mice & Men. Enjoy!

         4 years ago, Rin Matsuoka left to go to a prestigious swimming school. It was around that time when Haruka Nanase became aware of the feelings that have developed for his best friend of 5 years. Once Rin left, Haru was heartbroken and torn. He loved his best friend but homosexuality is frowned upon in Japan. His brain was a battleground for a year, until he gave up and accepted his feelings.

Now, Haru thinks about the day he left every waking moment.

—FLASHBACK, FOUR YEARS AGO—

        Today is the day. Today is the day that Rin is leaving, Haru thought. “Hey Haru, my bus is about to leave. You gonna walk me up there?” Rin asked. I don’t want to do this, he thinks. I can’t do this. I can’t let him leave. “You coming?” the red-head asks. “Yeah,” Haru replies. As he walks over to Rin, he starts to tear up. No, he thinks. I can’t let him see me like this. I don’t want him to think of me as a crybaby. Haru wipes his eyes when Rin isn’t looking, mentally willing himself not to cry. When he reaches Rin, the red-head reaches his arms out for a hug. They dont know how long the embrace lasted, but it felt like forever. Near the end of the hug, Rin whispered “Goodbye Haru, I’ll miss you.” Haru didn’t reply. He couldn’t bring himself to say it. When they pulled away, they were both crying. “I’ll miss you too, Rin. Always.” Haru and Rin walked over to the bus and hugged one last time. “See you soon,” he says. “Yeah,” Haru replies, “see you soon.” Then, Rin walked onto the bus. Once the bus starts moving, he looks out the window and waves to Haru, crying. That moment is when Haru realized his attraction to his friend.

END OF FLASHBACK—