chapter five: vasco, the shoulder grabber

Comenzar desde el principio

"What? Fight?"

"Zack and Vin?" Daniel turns his head to see Vasco, Jace, and someone else from the Architecture Department. His eyes widen to see the guy who saved him yesterday when his chubby self and Jiho were there at the convenience store. Daniel wants to say hi to Vasco, and he does while jumping out of his seat. Jiho is confused--actually, very confused. You are too and since you're done eating, you decide to observe the spectacle before you. 

Jace whispers to Vasco, informing him that he's the new kid and that he's probably trying to pick a fight. Vasco stares at Daniel and then at Jiho, and he realizes that Jiho is the other kid from yesterday. He takes a look at Zoe and after her, he looks at you, one of the prettiest students from the Fashion Department. He senses something about you and leaves you alone.  'Is he dragging around the weaklings?' Vasco thinks to himself. 'Handsome guys are...always bad!"

"H-hey..." Daniel's voice wavers as he tries to speak.

"Who are you, You know me? You. You've never been taken down, huh?" Vasco assumes. You raise an eyebrow at this statement, wondering if it's true. 

"Even if you're good looking and strong...don't screw around." Vasco places his hand on Daniel's left shoulder and squeezes it like a stress ball, not losing focus and putting pressure on that singular spot. You're a bit worried about Vasco, you see him do the same sometimes to the Burn Knuckles, especially during the first semester of this year. You warily scan the situation and tense up at what Vasco is doing. 

"Hey, what are you doing to him? He's done nothing wrong you know," you tell Vasco in a calm and sincere tone, but firmly too. He looks at you but doesn't respond. You let out a small huff, thinking that at the very least he could say something to not leave you hanging. The area around you feels rigid, and from the corner of your eye, Jay's blank stare is on Daniel and Vasco too. 

Daniel winces from the pain as Vasco keeps tightening his grip. However, he's not backing down yet and Vasco is surprised by how he's still standing, as most guys would already be on their knees by now. Again, Daniel shocks everyone by separating Vasco's hand from his shoulder. Zack has a smirk instead, but he's surprised too.

"Sorry if I bothered you. I thought you were someone else," Daniel lies, plastering a pained-looking smile on his face. You notice that he's obviously lying, he would not have waved over to Vasco if he didn't know him. But, you don't want to add more to the bonfire so you don't ask him about it. Daniel keeps squeezing Vasco's wrist as he is stunned by his immense strength. Jace is noticeably getting worried about Daniel, and how if Vasco lost the "fight" the Burn Knuckles would be disgraced. Knowing that he cannot let this go on any longer, Jace steps in between the two men. 

"Haha yeah! So you thought he was someone else?" He sheepishly confirms, rubbing the side of his head while Vasco and Daniel are confused. 

"Yeah...sorry."

"Nah, it happens. What class are you? Fashion?" Jace asks to lighten the situation.

"Yep.."

"Oh, so you're the new guy!" 

"Yep!" 

"Forget it and eat," the Burn Knuckles member coolly says, and Daniel seems as if he's crying tears of joy. Everyone's whispering about how Daniel can stand up to Vasco without much hesitation, and you are impressed too...again. Before Jace leaves the table, he leers at Daniel and you shoot him a look before he turns back to Vasco. 

Daniel keeps on eating and you chuckle a little, casing Daniel to look up from his tray. "Why are you laughing?"

"Because you never cease to amaze me," you tease him. It's true though, after his fight with Zack and being able to break free of Vasco's famous shoulder squeeze, he's shown you how strong-willed he is. He blushes a bit and denies it, shaking his head and puts a spoonful of rice into his mouth. You smile at him and glance over at Jiho who still looks like he doesn't want to be at this table. 

"Hey, little guy..." Jiho is broken out of his trance. "Don't surrender to guys like that. Believe in yourself." Jiho puffs his cheeks from being called a "little guy" but he takes his words into some consideration.

"Hey, shut up and let's go eat," Jace scolds Vasco. He agrees and they leave the table. Across many tables from you, you see Eli's hair being fussed with by the girls at his table but he doesn't mind it. He grins at Daniel, or at least you think he is, and you wonder what's going through his mind. 

'I don't really care but, he's handsome and kind. He's kinda funny. Maybe he'll let me cut his hair?' Eli ponders for a bit. 

"Eli, try this!"

"Eli, take a look at my hair--would ya?" 

"Of course, of course, just give me a minute," Eli gently says, making their hearts swoon. You have no idea what's going with him, but you might ask him later if you drop by the daycare today. As you realize that you've been hanging out with Daniel and sitting at his table, you never asked him for his number. 

"Hey Daniel, what's your number? We've never exchanged ours even after hanging out for a bit," you bring up. Daniel takes out his phone and you exchange it to put your number in his phone. 

"There," Daniel smiles, "now we have each other's number!" You take your phone back and flash a grin at him, as a certain gelled-hair friend sadly looks at you with a tinge of regret and jealousy. 

Maybe it's time for him to apologize to you if he wants to get in your good graces and have Mira stop nagging him. 

_________________________________________________________

Hey guys, a bit of a short chapter compared to the last one, but hoped you guys enjoyed it! I just really want to get into the good arcs and I hope to expand my writing further and to get better at it. 

Anyways, I'll be taking a break because I've been writing nonstop. So, maybe I'll be back towards the end of the week, maybe sooner who knows :)

-until next time,

reverse-lights