She and Maya lifted carefully worked his arms out of his suit coat, realizing it was an old, itchy wool that couldn't possibly be helping his fever.

As they worked, Beth explained to Maya as best she could what had happened.

Maya was quiet for a few minutes after.

"Isn't it weird" she finally commented "how when he attacked, he blocked the vampire?"

Beth's heart gave an unreasonable leap.

"Maybe."

Maya was silent for a few more moments before speaking.

"I wonder what he was talking to Bernard about?"

"I don't know..." Beth's voice was barely a whisper as she watched Bernard anxiously. Despite his fever and flushed cheeks, he seemed pale. Would he be alright?

Maya stood up. "Well, I'm going to make breakfast. I'll bring enough for you and Bernard later."

Beth nodded, then blinked as a thought occured to her.

"How much does he even eat?" She wondered aloud, realizing she'd never seen him take a single bite.

"Does he at all?" Maya retorted sadly, then left.

Beth kept careful watch over Bernard, changing out the cool cloths as her brothers noisily stampeded to the kitchen.

Not long later, his eyes opened as Beth replaced the already warm cloth.

"Miss Beth?" He blinked, his eyes focusing quickly on her face.

"Yes, it's me. Stay there." she cautioned as he began to sit up. "You've got a fever. Maya and I carried you in after you collapsed."

Bernard shook his head slightly, laying back on his pillows reluctantly. "How long have I been out Miss Beth?"

"By now? Nearly four hours. I was worried about you." She admitted.

"I do apologize Miss Beth." Bernard's voice was softer than usual, and Beth knew that while he wasn't going to volunteer the information, he very likely had a strong headache.

"Don't." Her voice wavered slightlh, but she caught herself and began again. "Don't apologize. You were protecting me, and my siblings."

Bernard shook his head slightly only to wince.

"Taehyung may not be as we thought he was Miss Beth. More than once as we fought, he..." Bernard paused, struggling to breathe.

"Take it easy. Whatever he said doesn't have to be said right away. Take your time, and breathe." Beth grasped his hand firmly, gently emphasizing her words. Perhaps Bernard was her elder, but he was ill and Beth was determined to take care of him.

Bernard evidently noticed her determination, and conceded with a nod.

When his breathing was steady, he continued.

"He said multiple times Miss Beth that if I would step back he would explain and leave. But something forced me to keep fighting him." He paused again, his breathing steadier than before. It returned to normal a bit faster than before. "I think it was the sword. I believed his words, but as long as he was near me I couldn't make myself stop."

Beth was confused, but simply held Bernard's hand and squeezed it reassuringly as Bernard once again allowed his breathing to steady itself.

"He knew. He knew somehow that I couldn't. He told that vampire to stay back. He asked me..." suddenly Bernard coughed, and Beth worried that his face seemed older than it had before.