Ethereal Chronicles (1st Scroll): Catching Feathers

• Dedicat lui Jen Teoxon

Chapter 1: Sparks

They ran across the bridge. It was nearly midnight and the war is still raging on the other side of the kingdom. But the Cursox are winning the battle and their Princess, who they call their "Light", must be saved

A woman carrying a bundle of glowing clothes ran towards the center of the isolated park. Following her are children, the elderly, and women which are being escorted by knights. Everyone talked in hushed voices, children cried silently as they ran like the wind. All had their cream-colored wings out. Spanning twice their heights, their feathers ruffled in the wind. An occasional brown, black, red or blond feather showed their lineage. Their hair color matched their feather color because feathers and hair are created by the same material, keratin.

"My father is there! I have to fight with him!", a lad shouted.

People looked at the outraged lad quietly, shaking their heads. A new wing.

"Your father is a soldier.", his mother replied. "You are too young to be one and you only got your wings a few suns ago."

"But I can fight!", the lad continued to protest. "I am already training to be a soldier one day!"

"That day is not now, my child. We'll need you when that time comes." A woman appeared next to him.

The one who spoke walked quietly beside the lad. As soon as they saw who appeared, everyone stopped to touch their chests and bow. The woman plainly waived them off.

"The Superior Vena!"

"This is not the right time for curtsies. We all have to go faster."

Everyone followed their Superior's order and went on their silent journey. They passed the park and the market. Yesterday, everyone was busy buying items of all sorts in this place but now, a soft breeze passed between stalls. No store will be opened tonight, maybe even tomorrow. The future is impossible to think at this cruel time.

Dressed in a cream-colored tube dress that reaches just under her knees, Superio Vena walked with grace no one can compare to. Her blue eyes stared blankly ahead as she nearly ran to catch up with the woman being guarded by a group of soldiers. She flapped her wings slightly and hovered until she reached the woman. Her caligae just touched the ground when the woman looked at her and stopped.

Wearing the same tube dress except for her long shite cloak, one could easily tell that they are twins. The woman has dark blue eyes, however. They hugged for a while before resuming their silent journey.

"Avena, how is she doing?", Superior Vena whispered.

"Still fast asleep, Superior.", Avena clutched the bundle of clothes tighter. "but I believe she will be awake by the time we reach the Edge."

"Don't fret, Avena. It is better if she has her eyes open."

They walked silently, passing the abandoned houses. As they turned right, an explosion near the front startled everyone. Fire erupted from the house and bricks flew everywhere. A huge part of the chimney fell on the ground, crushing anyone underneath. The Ailerons scrambled, others flew away from the wreckage but they flew near the ground. Everyone was ordered to stay near the ground to avoid being Seen by the Cursox. It cleared and Superior Vena took charge.

A mother died protecting her child.

From under the fallen chimney, pure white feathers flew upwards, towards the night sky, then vanished.

"We need to move faster.", Superior Vena breathed.

A glowing mark appeared on the ground in front of Superior Vena. It looked like an image of the sun and moon together. She held her hands out, as if to catch something. A huge staff with a large crystal orb appeared from beneath the ground.