1:Dream Journal

Welcome! The following 10 steps are written by an experienced lucid dreamer. They are designed to teach anyone how to lucid dream, from the very beginning. This marvellous skill will enable you to consciously "wake up" inside your dreamworld, observe and guide your dreams in exceptionally vivid detail, and discover much about your hidden inner self.

Lucid dreaming is a scientifically proven practice. Millions of people do it every night. Now it's your turn to tap into this natural ability which will color your dreams for the rest of your life. Take each step slowly and spend a few days putting each one into practice. And remember to have fun with it; this is the start of an extraordinary journey within...

Step #1 - Keep a Dream Journal

The first step to becoming a lucid dreamer is to keep a dream journal.

It sounds simple - and it is! Just make it a habit to write down your dreams every day and, when combined with the lucidity techniques in this course, you'll be rewarded with more frequent lucid dreams.

It should take you about 10-15 minutes to write down your most vivid dreams in the morning. Try to do it at least five days per week, especially in these early stages.

A dream journal is a powerful way to achieve three things:

1. Improve your dream recall - by converting short-term dream memories into long-term memories that will stay with you for years.

2. Increase dream vividness - by paying more attention to your dreams day-by-day, you will naturally become more focused and self-aware in your dreams.

3. Increase your chances of lucid dreams - by remembering your dreams vividly, you will pick up on lucidity triggers and entrain your mind for conscious dreams.

Getting Started

Today, grab a blank journal and set it beside your bed with a pencil.

Set your alarm clock 15 minutes early to give you enough time to reflect on your dreams.

Now, kick-start your journal by writing down these five tips for dream journaling:

1. Priority - Write down your most vivid dreams immediately upon waking. Don't get up first, as this will cause motor neurons to start firing in your brain, making you fully alert and overwriting the fragile short term memory of the dreams.

2. Title - Write the title and date of your dream to help you identify it later. Write a capital "L" for lucid in a circle if you became lucid at any point in the dream.

3. Tense - Write in the present tense (eg, "I am flying high when the sky opens up and transports me to another dimension") as this will help put you back in the moment of the dream.

4. Dream Signs - Underline your dream signs (any specific cues or triggers which reveal you were dreaming). I'll explain exactly why in our next lesson.

5. Draw - Sketch the most vivid scene from your dream. You don't have to be an artist; these images just help underpin your visual recall.

Troubleshooting

What if you can't remember ANY dreams at all when you go to your dream journal? What if you wake up every morning with a blank slate?

First off, know that everybody dreams, every night. However, if you're a deep sleeper or haven't placed much significance on your dreams before, you may not have any memory of them at first.

Fortunately, there are many ways to boost your dream recall. Here are a few:

Eat dream enhancing foods before bed (like cheese or bananas)Take dream enhancing supplements (like vitamin B6)Ingest known dream herbs (like Calea Zacatechichi)Adjust your wake-up time (to rouse you during REM sleep)Incubate your desire to recall your dreams (using self-hypnosis)More detailed information on these approaches can be found at the website World of Lucid Dreaming. We'll also look at self-hypnosis and specific dream-inducing herbs in later steps of this course.

Final Thoughts

Starting a dream journal is your first commitment to lucid dreaming. And it's an important one. In fact, I guarantee that if you ignore this step, you will dramatically reduce the number of lucid dreams you can potentially have.

So try to record your dreams every morning, at least for the duration of this course. You'll soon realize how rich and fascinating your dream life actually is...