12

May 23, 1986

Stevie was tired. Period. It had been six months, for six months Stevie had been living with Lindsey. She sold her house and moved in completely with the man changing her mailing address and everything. It was a giant step given that they hadn't been together that long but none the less she was happy. She had put a new album out and was currently on tour. It embarked on April 11th in Houston and her first leg completed on May 11th, just in time for Lindsey's divorce finalization and custody hearings. She was getting along well with his kids. William was still ten, Leelee still eight, but Stella had aged up to seven. She had a special bond with Stella that not even Lindsey could understand. Stella always had to be by Stevie doing what she was doing. If Sevie went with Lindsey to pick them up after school it was like a party would break out. 

But even though she was tired, and just wanted to be at home getting ready for her second leg to kick off on May 30, she was wearing a black blazer and a white and black polka-dotted chiffon dress. Her left leg crossed over her right bobbing her knee as a reaction to the nerves she was feeling. The kids were sitting by her as it was her and Lindsey's week with them, and even though Leelee and William were wide awake, Stella had crawled onto Stevie's lap halfway through the custody hearing and had fallen asleep. 

"Your honor, the kids should be granted to my client Kristen Messner for three reasons. The first reason is, that Mr. Buckingham has a very rigid work schedule. He's one of the most famous guitar players in the world and he tours for two years at a time. The second reason is that he has started a relationship with Stevie Nicks, another famous musician whose workload is just as heavy as Mr. Buckingham's and she is currently on tour herself, so the kids would virtually never be with a parent. The final reason is that upon doing the home inspections we found out that Ms. Nicks is living with Mr. Buckingham and she has a drug problem." Kristen's lawyer bellows.

"OBJECTION! Ms. Nicks has been sober for six months, she's already taken a drug test where there was no indication of any drugs in her system and she has signed an affidavit saying that she will take a drug test again that proves she is clean and sober if prompted." Lindsey's lawyer explains.

"In the house inspection reports was there any signs of illegal substances or alcohol in Mr. Buckingham's house?" The judge questions.

"No your honor, the house was clean." Kristen's lawyer concedes. 

"Then the objection is sustained. There is no need for Ms. Nicks to take a drug test. Considering that most drug addicts relapse within the first three months, it is unlikely that six months in she'll relapse. Why should Mr. Buckingham get custody of the children, William age 10, Leelee age 8, and Stella age 7?" 

"Mr. Buckingham has a steady income and the children won't suffer for anything. Ms. Messner has no steady income and is between jobs at the moment. Though Mr. Buckingham does tour quite a lot for work he has vowed to slow down if he gets custody of the children, for example only touring in the summers when the kids can go with him. His house is safe and secure and it's only 10 minutes from where the children go to school." Lindsey's lawyer explains.

"Very well, I would like to hear from the children. Normally I would speak to them in my chambers but given the late hour and their ages, I would like to get it over with quickly so, Can we please have William Buckingham take the stand?" The judge asks.

William slowly stands up in the cute little outfit that Stevie picked out for him. A pair of khakis and a blue plaid shirt with a little navy blue bowtie. 

"William, you look very nice today. A lot different than when I saw you in court last week." The judge smiles.

"Yeah, Last week mom just said wear whatever and that it wasn't important but Stevie suggested that I dress up. I didn't know what to wear so she helped me." William tells the judge.