Holy shit. Suga has Hanahaki. Who is it? He just said he doesn't think he's gonna confess. What does that mean? Would confessing right now be insensitive? Should I wait? Goddamit. This is even more stressful than I thought it was gonna be. Daichi frowned. "Are you gonna get the surgery then?"

     "No." 

     "What? Why not?" 

     "It's selfish and stupid, but... I don't wanna watch them fall in love with someone else. You already know what comes from getting the surgery and all of the possible side effects that can come from it and it's just really... scary I guess. Sorry, I don't have a better way to put it." 

     The two fell silent for a long time. Suga didn't know what to say, but he enjoyed just having the company. He found his own ways to distract himself from the loneliness, but nothing could beat having someone there with him. Daichi was screaming inside. He didn't know if it would be inappropriate to confess or not at that point. What if he likes someone else? Suga never told me who it was. It could be someone else. I could confess and then make everything infinitely worse for both of us. Or maybe I'm just overthinking everything. Asahi might be rubbing off on me

     Finally, Suga broke the silence by coughing even more violently. Daichi ran and grabbed a nurse, who called the doctor and rushed into Suga's room to stabilize him. The doctor told him that he should wait a while before trying to visit again so they could keep a closer eye on his condition. With that, Daichi decided to see Michimiya. 

~~~

     "I'm going to get the surgery." 

     Daichi was still trying to wrap his head around the fact that his two best friends had both somehow caught Hanahaki. How incredibly unlucky. "Well, do you at least want to say who it is before you get the surgery? It might help you feel less bad about it." 

     Michimiya turned bright red and hid her face in her hands. She didn't look nearly as bad as Suga did, but she still looked awful. "I'd feel awful if I did." 

     "Why? There's nothing wrong with having a crush, Michi." 

     "It's more complicated than that!" Michimiya waved her hands helplessly. She looked desperate. "You know Sugawara and I both have Hanahaki, right?" 

     "He told you but not me? What the hell?" Daichi yelped. 

     "I'm sorry about that. I can explain everything and I feel terrible for making you worry so much about all of this seeing that you've got so much going on." Michimiya grimaced and took a deep breath. "But Sugawara and I both like the same person. We found out together, so we both promised that we wouldn't do anything like confess or get surgery without talking to the other first. Then we both got put in the hospital and I haven't gotten the chance to talk to him yet. I'm already sure about getting the surgery though."  

     Daichi just stared at her in shock. They both liked the same person. He hoped his jaw wasn't hanging open. "Seriously?" 

     "I wish I was kidding. All of this is so shocking I know. That's why I feel so bad about saying who it is now because last I spoke to Sugawara he seemed pretty resigned to never confessing." Michimiya sighed. "But now that I'm getting the surgery, I want to try talking him into actually doing it. The last thing I want is for him to... you know." She shivered. 

     "Who is it then?" Daichi asked. Maybe I shouldn't have asked. "Sorry, that was insensitive." 

     "No no! Not at all! I think I might be helping him actually since I'm getting the surgery, but it still feels weird to just say it," She admitted. "It doesn't feel right even though technically we share the same crush. It's you." The room fell silent. It was like Michimiya had just dropped a bomb on the conversation. Well, she had. I like Suga though. Where does that leave Michi then? "Don't feel bad for me. I kinda saw that you liked Sugawara before any of this started to get real. From what he told me, it sounded like he was never planning on confessing." 

     "So it's all up to me then..."

     "Oh! I should have asked if you even liked him back before saying any of that!" Michimiya stuttered. 

     Daichi laughed. "I like him back." 

     "Good. Well, you'd better hop to it!" Michimiya clapped loudly. "He's here, isn't he? He's waiting for you! Go do it right now! Make sure you tell him that I'm getting the surgery done too. I don't think I'll get to see him before it happens."

     "Thank you so much, Michi." Daichi bowed and hurried out of the room. 

~~~

     Daichi could hear people talking through the door in Suga's room. He decided it was best to just wait outside until the other person left. The nurse leaving the room stopped him before he could come in. 

     "I'm sorry. You'll have to come back tomorrow. Only family is being allowed right now." The nurse bowed apologetically. 

     "Oh. Well, I'll come back tomorrow then."