I Just Wanted Some Bread

Start from the beginning

Sir Brandon took a furious look at the princess, who replied, “Kiss a frog, Clipp.”

The defeated knight growled in annoyance, unsure of whether to strangle the girl or to let her live. Unable to choose, he coldly said, “This isn't over, princess.” He then made his way through the crowd, humiliated and upset.

The crowd began to disperse, the episode ended. As the people left, some followed Brandon and others resumed their minuscule labors of the day. The princess was looking down, a bit weakened and on the verge of tears. Nalazak realized the poor woman was alone, no one to support her or console her.

He knew he shouldn't, but part of him couldn't abandon her. It would be wrong and it would be encouraging the exact same environment he had worked so hard to escape back home. Giving himself a mental pep talk, he finally made his way over to her.

“Hey,” he asked. “Are you okay?”

The princess looked up. Her eyes were shiny as she was doing her best to hold back tears. She looked down and replied, “I don't know.”

“I saw what happened,” Nalazak replied. “You don't need to listen to him.”

“I know,” the princess mumbled. “It's just hard.”

“Let's find a place to sit. You can tell me all about it.”

The princess nodded and Nalazak helped guide her over to a terrace where some seating was set up. 

“What's your name,” Nalazak asked, helping her sit.

“Emily,” she sniffled.

“Emily,” Nalazak repeated, sitting down across from her. “That is a beautiful name.”

“Thank you,” Emily replied. “What's yours?”

“Nalazak.”

The princess nodded before replying, “That's… that's a weird name, I'm not gonna lie.”

Nalazak kinda made a face and said with a joke in his voice, “Thank you.”

Emily seemed to like that, because she laughed a little. She was calming down, which was good. People deserve to be built up rather than torn down. Nalazak smiled a little. Her smile was cute. No wonder guys were trying to get her, she was stunning. He waited until she was done and calm.

“So, what's the deal with the knight,” Nalazak asked.

“Oh,” Emily replied, “that is Sir Brandon. He is one of the more arrogant ones here. He thinks he can get whatever he wants.”

“Rich family?”

“Yeah, he's with one of the noble families here, feeling like they own the world.”

“Well, you're a noble. Is that what it's like?”

Emily looked out to her left. Nalazak followed her glance. Behind the shops in that direction was the sea. New Haven had long ago built a massive sea wall of stone to fend off attackers, but outside of that wall was freedom. No rules, no one to order you around like a slave, no one to hold you back. Out there was being who you wanted to be.

Looking back to Emily, he realized that was something she wasn't able to do. Noble life was a cage, a cage of etiquette and customs, of what to do and what not to do. There was never a real escape, once in, never out… unless you were born into it, which in that case meant you were there to start.

“What do you think it's like out there,” Emily asked, a little quiet.

“It's pretty cool out there,” Nalazak said.

“Wait, you're not from here,” Emily realized, a little surprised. “Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! I shouldn't have dragged you into this. This must be so weird.”

Nalazak laughed a little and replied, “Don't worry about it. It's a great place you have here.”

“It's home,” she shrugged. “The point is that we can be who we are with those we care about.”

Nalazak folded his arms. He didn't have that liberty where he was from. You had to be what they wanted you to be back home. No room for personal preference and no room for fantasies and dreams.

“So,” he asked, considerably. “What do you want to be, then?”

Emily grew a little quiet for a second before saying, “I want to be a hero. I want the chance to protect my home from darkness, to lift up those around me, to be someone.”

“Except no one gives you the chance,” Nalazak grimly noted.

“No, because I'm a princess and that's not my job” Emily replied, grudgingly. She seemed to overemphasize the last part, mockingly.

Nalazak nodded, thinking it over for a second. Emily then laughed a little.

“I wouldn't blame them,” Emily continued. “They're probably right.”

“How do you know that,” Nalazak countered.

Emily was about to answer, but she thought it over. Nalazak could see more of the picture now: this was unproven talent waiting to come out.

“My dream was to be a treasure hunter,” Nalazak continued. “My family absolutely hated it, thought I was foolish, but the opportunity came eventually. I left home with a map to the Thunder Staff and while things haven't worked out all the way like I have wanted, I have enjoyed every day of it. One day, I will find that staff because I had that dream.

“Your opportunity is coming. I noticed you said no when that knight tried to propose. Your father gave you that ability to choose, not everyone has that ability in this day and age. What is important, though, is that he trusts you. People will trust you and they will see the gifts you have. So, don't give up.”

Emily nodded, thinking. Nalazak exhaled as if he had a load get off his chest. Emily then looked up and Nalazak and replied, “Thank you. I'm sorry you have to play therapist.”

Nalazak gave a small smile, happy he could help.

“So, wait,” Emily asked, curious, “your family didn't want you to be a treasure hunter?”

“Society is tough where I am from,” Nalazak replied.

“Where are you from,” Emily followed up.

Nalazak was about to answer when explosions sounded in the distance. Both of them stood up and looked over to the sea. Columns of smoke began to form above parts of the sea wall. Explosions every couple seconds lit the wall ablaze. Small sections began to crumble and collapse in the distance.

“What's going on,” Emily yelled.

“The sea wall's under attack,” someone yelled back. People began to panic, some started screaming in fear.

Suddenly, cannon fire sounded and Nalazak watched large, flaming balls of fire rise into the sky, growing bigger as they came closer to its target: the markets where they were sitting.