Panic

Billy sat up from his bed, wiping his face from his sleep deprivation. He hadn't had much sleep lately and he could tell it was getting to him. His eyes were drooping, bags of brown color sporting his young features. He hated how he looked lately and how he felt was much worse. Freddy kept asking if he was okay and he had to keep telling him that he was fine. It was kind of annoying.

He kicked his legs over the side of the bed and was met with a shirt thrown at his face.

"Get up. We're going to a fair today," Freddy said, raising an eyebrow. "A fair? Here? Where?" Billy asked frantically. "I don't know, dude. Hurry up, breakfast is downstairs," Freddy said quickly, hobbling fastly out of the door.

Billy rolled his eyes and randomly threw on the shirt Freddy had chucked at his face. It seemed clean enough and he was just going to wear a hoodie anyway. He put on his pants and grabbed his only pair of shoes, shoving them on his feet quickly. He could hear the clattering of dishes and laughing of the other children downstairs. And for a moment, he just listened. Although he grew close to them and considered them family, he still felt like an outsider at times.

He couldn't just sit there and TALK and just have fun with them while preparing breakfast like the fucking Brady bunch. It just didn't come naturally or FEEL right.

"Where's Billy?" he heard someone ask. But Billy didn't want to join just yet. He wanted to wait until it died down a bit.

He heard the breakfast plates being set on the table and people sitting down, chairs scraping on the floors. Then, he stopped listening and admiring from afar and started to join them. They all had their hands together, as usual, looking at Billy as if asking him to join with their eyes. Billy smiled his charming smile and walked over to them, placing his hand on top.

Victor said a prayer and they all sat down. They were all discussing a controversial topic again, but Billy wasn't listening. He heard Mary get upset at Freddy for something and Rosa attempting to calm them down. Victor smiled at his children and glanced at Billy as he took a bite of his eggs.

"Billy, would you like to enlighten us about the issue? You seem very quiet," Victor said.

Billy shrugged and drank his glass of water. "I'm, uh, I'm good. I don't really know what you guys are talking about honestly," Billy laughed sheepishly.

"Okay. Pedro? Eugene? You guys have any say in this?" Rosa asked.

Of course, Eugene did. And although Billy didn't hear most of what he was saying, he assumed it was the most valid point because, well it was Eugene.

After a while of arguing politely, Rosa collected all of their dishes and put them in the dishwasher. "Guys, we need to be leaving soon if we want to make it to the fair, okay? Be getting ready," Rosa called to them. Billy shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He was already feeling uneasy about this. Freddy got up and struggled to the stairs.

Billy got up from his seat. "Need help?" he asked, noticing Freddy's uncomfortable expression.

"Yeah, my leg hurts a lot today," Freddy grimaced. He placed a hand on Billy's shoulder and they slowly walked up the stairs. "You gonna be able to make it to the fair?" Billy asked, in a hopeful tone. If Freddy couldn't go, he knew the others wouldn't. Oh, how he wished they wouldn't go.

"Yeah, once my meds kick in, I should be fine," he said, causing Billy to internally groan. He guessed it was better than Freddy being in pain though.

Freddy got dressed, the girls ran downstairs, and after a moment, Rosa began yelling for them to come down as well. Apparently, they were the type of family that liked to take pictures of themselves doing everything. So if they were ready to leave for a big event like this, a picture had to be taken. If they got there, picture taken. If they were about to ride a ride, picture taken. After the ride, picture taken. About to eat at a restaurant, picture taken. After they were done, picture taken. He had never had to fake smile so much in his entire life.