will you go to prom with me?

Start from the beginning

a little while later, katelyn had aquired some a drink from the concessions stand. as she sat at her place away from the dance floor, a girl walked up behind her and tapped on katelyn's shoulder.

"hey, i love your dress," the girl complimented.

katelyn said thank you and returned the compliment. coincidentilly, the girl was wearing a dress similar to the one that katelyn was going to choose but didn't.

"are you alone?" the girl asked. katelyn nodded.
"me too. i'm abigail."

katelyn smiled. "hi abigial, i'm katelyn. would you like to sit here?" katelyn offered the seat next to her.
abigail smiled and sat down. the two ended up talking for a while, first vaguely explaining why they were at the dance alone. abigail's friends weren't into school dances but she was so she came alone. katelyn just said she had no one to come with. as they talked, they could feel themselves becoming better friends. katelyn was still cautious about opening up but she thought about what zach had said before. she just needed to let loose and drop her walls. and it worked.

zach was on his final few songs of his setlist. he sang his heart out and whenever he started to feel nervous, he thought about seeing katelyn soon. when the all the boys left stage to do their final outfit change for the encore, zach quickly asked jon if his things were in his room. jon nodded and zach felt do relieved. he changed into his outfit which was all black so he could get back on stage and sing everyone's favorite song, falling.

right after the show he sprinted to his dressing room, and got changed into his tux. he pulled out the pink and white corsage that he also got for katelyn before he ran out of the building to meet the uber at the back entrance.
the whole place was still crowded by fans but he needed to get out without being seen. luckily, corbyn was by the door waiting for him.

"i got him to pull up closer," corbyn said.

zach nodded. "thank you."

as zach was getting in the car, corbyn shouted out to him, "hey! good luck."

zach smiled and got in the car.

zach eventually pulled up to the location of the prom that katelyn sent him a few days ago. to him, the car ride felt like forever. zach got inside and searched for katelyn. he couldn't find her outside and it was hard to see anyone on the dance  floor with the bright lights. he kept looking until he saw katelyn's lace detailed dress from a distance. she was sitting and talking with another girl in a dark red dress that looked oddly familiar. he took a deep breath before walking up behind her.

katelyn had been talking to abigial for almost an hour and a half. the dance was close to being over. they had already become really close. she told abigail that she met a guy online and that she might have feelings for him but she has never met him in person. abigail asked if she could see a picture so katelyn showed her a picture.

"wow, he's really cute," abigail said.

"i know right? but our relationship is complicated."

"how so?"

"well--"

as katelyn began to speak, a guy walked up behind katelyn. abigail was getting ready to defend katelyn when she recognized the guys face.

"oh my gosh-- katelyn," abigail said, staring at the boy.

"what?" she yelled and turned around to see what abigail was staring at. zach was standing right in front of her in a tuxedo with a corsage in his hand. he was a little shorter than she thought but he had the biggest, dumbest smile on his face which made him look so adorable.

when zach saw katelyn's eyes light up he wanted to scream and hug her. but first he got down on one knee in front of everyone and held out his corsage to her.

"katelyn,
will you go to prom with me?"

katelyn was so happy she cried.
of course she said yes. she took the corsage and slipped it around her wrist. katelyn jumped into zach's arms and they held each other.
abigail was behind them getting pictures of everything.

the dj announced that the dance was about to end. but first, one last slow dance was going to play.

zach held out his hand to katelyn.

"can i have this dance?"

katelyn put her hand in his.
"absolutely.

zach and katelyn walked to the middle of the dance floor. he placed his hands around her waist and she put her hands around his neck. they swayed back and forth to the music. eventually, she laid her head on his shoulder. zach took the opportunity to whisper in her ear.

"you didn't think i'd miss the chance to do this, did you?"

katelyn whispered back.
"i'm glad you didn't zachary."