"Eh," I shrugged, acting like I didn't care when in reality I was pretty bummed. At this point in our friendship, David and I had been through nearly everything together. He was now, without a doubt, the best friend I had made in college, and I did want him here on my birthday, even if we just sat in our living room and ate pizza. "He's having a lot of family stuff going on right now. He should probably be home with them anyways."

"If you say so..." she trailed off, and I laughed to myself. If Lydia had his number, I knew the second she hung up with me, she'd be calling him and yelling at him. She was that kind of sort-of-mom.

I talked to Simon for a little bit, who I could tell was annoyed with being awake so early, but he was the little brother that loved his big sisters, so he did it anyways. After a thirty minute phone call, Lydia finally let me go.

I was too awake now, so I took a shower and began getting ready for my day. It wasn't long after I finished my makeup and got dressed that I heard shuffling and whispering in the kitchen, but I let the girls do their thing.

Just a few minutes later, my door swung open, and in walked Corinna and Natalie holding a cake with four candles on it. It looked extremely homemade. The frosting was half melted, and where they wrote "happy bday evdawg!!!" was squiggly and uneven. I could tell they made it under the influence, but I still absolutely loved it.

They came in singing happy birthday way off key, then held out the cake for me to blow the candles out. "Make a wish!"

I wished for everyone in my life to be happy.

They sat in my room for a while, then finally convinced me to go shopping for a "birthday fit". It was already my birthday, and our only plan was the birthday dinner with Todd, Scott, Kristen, Zane, Carly and Erin, so I didn't know why I needed a special outfit. They offered to pay for it as my birthday present, so I just went along with it. It was hard to argue with those girls anyways.

I didn't really like shopping, so we made it quick and they bribed me with Auntie Anne's. We stopped at a few different stores before I found a red, long sleeved ribbed top and a black denim skirt. I was going to freeze my ass off, but they told me over and over again that it's only a short walk from the car to the restaurant and "pretty girls don't feel pain", whatever that meant. Corinna and I were the same shoe size, and she told me I could borrow her black thigh high boots to complete the look. The outfit was totally not my style, but peer pressure made me do it.

It was almost two in the afternoon by the time we arrived back at the apartment, and David had still not texted or called me to tell me happy birthday. I couldn't believe how much it was bumming me out. I kept telling myself that he was probably busy, but deep down, I convinced myself he forgot.

It went on like that for the rest of the day. We ate the cake once we got back from shopping. It wasn't the best, but I ate as much as I could stomach so the girls would think I loved it. They curled my hair for me and accessorized my dinner outfit with a belt and some necklaces.

We went to an Italian place called Privina's, which was extremely dimly lit and too fancy for a group of rowdy college kids. The ravioli I ate was delicious, though, and Todd paid for my meal, so how could I complain?

Zane, Carly and Erin pitched in and got me 2 grams, following the sneaky handoff from their car to ours with "sorry, this is all we could afford".

I was just glad they knew me that well. After dinner, everyone left except for my roommates and Todd. We went to Sonic to get slushies, my absolute favorite. Corinna and Todd spiked theirs, but Natalie stayed sober since she had to drive us back.

"You can walk back from the apartment, right?" she asked Todd on our drive home.

"What? No! Drop me off at the house. Evan can come in and get her birthday present from Jeff," he said, and I turned around to watch him suggestively raise his eyebrows at me. I rolled my eyes.

"If it's his dick in a box, I think I'll pass... unless it's actually severed from his body."

"That's disgusting," Corinna turned her nose up from her spot next to Todd. "Evdawg, you know I love you, but you're nasty."

"It's my birthday! I have every right to be nasty."

We pulled up to the frat house a few minutes later. It was eerily quiet out for a Saturday night. Natalie parked the car on the street and Todd said, "Come inside and grab the jacket you left last night."

"Okay."

"Can we all come?" Corinna asked. I was too full to move, but Corinna always liked to be included in things, so she climbed out of the car without an answer. She yelled, "Come on, Evdawg! You can smell David's room and pretend you're with him."

"Funny," I replied snarkily, but I got out of the car. I knew she wouldn't let me just sit. I walked up the steps and into the wide open door, frowning at how dark it was in the room. "Guys?"

"Surprise!"

Ive always wanted a surprise party and no one has ever thrown me one..... evan deserves tho

Vote and comment

Xoxo abby