"It's just my sketchbook. I like art. I'm..." The boy tapped his pencil against the paper, his gaze darting away to stare into the gloomy depths of the cellar. "I'm not very good at drawing, but I love it." There was a wistful smile on his lips as he admitted this.

"Not that I care," Nagatobimaru grumbled, crushing the now empty wrappers in his fist. "But if you like this... ART thing, you might as well keep doing it."

The boy's ebony eyes widened in disbelief. "Tora, are you actually being nice to me right now?"

"Don't be an idiot!" the monster snarled back.

The teen grinned, twirling his pencil between his fingers. "Do you mind if I draw you?" the young man asked.

"Why?"

"Have you looked in a mirror? You're fascinating!" the youth insisted.

"I am?" The monster raised a brow, and scratched his cheek. What a curious human. The boy was silent as Nagatobimaru mulled over the idea in his mind. "I don't care," the beast finally announced.

The boy scooted closer, careful to stay just out of reach. His pencil began to fly over the paper in his lap, even as he shot tiny glances at the creature barely illuminated in the shadows.

"What's wrong, brat? Why don't you get a closer look?" Nagatobimaru taunted, letting a creepy grin elongate his mouth to show off his razor sharp fangs. Dark eyes darted to those pearly white teeth, and back up at the beast's stripped face.

"Nope. You're still a people eater," the teen said, turning his attention back to his drawing.

***

And so their strange arrangement continued. Nagatobimaru soon learned that the brat's name was Ushio, and he was the descendant of the spear-bearer who imprisoned him. Why fate would soulbond them together was a mystery that the beast didn't care to solve. He was a monster, so why should he waste his time on a human?

Still, the boy did bring him food...

***

It was finally the weekend, and Ushio had just finished a very late breakfast. Grabbing a container of cooked chicken out of the fridge, he made his way to the back door, intending to convince Tora to allow him another art session.

Ushio swung open the door, catching sight of a shimmer in the air. "Okay – that's weird." Stepping into the courtyard, the young man began to walk toward the storehouse, even as he peered side-to-side to try to narrow down the source of the strange flickers in the air. He stopped in his tracks as something serpent-like became visible inches from his nose.

"The hell?" He leaned closer, and the translucent creature turned to look at him. As if noticing him for the first time, it let out a hiss as its head snapped toward him. Ushio let out an involuntary shout, and stumbled back – catching the attention of a multitude of similar creatures that were now materializing in the courtyard.

"SHIT!"

The boy made a mad dash for the storehouse.

***

There was a strange energy in the air when Nagatobimaru awoke from his slumber. He could practically taste the undercurrent of evil that did not belong to him. Hmmm... It had taken longer than he'd originally thought for the other monsters in the area to notice the release of his evil energy. It should have filled him with glee, but there was a hint of concern buried deep within him. The protective feeling rushed to the surface when he heard a familiar voice cry out.

Perking up his ears, he listened as the main door slammed open, and rapid footsteps rushed across the floor above him.

"Tora! There are little monsters flying all over the place!" the boy called out, even as he began to climb down the ladder. The insects followed him, snaking around his limbs with malicious intent. The youth landed roughly on the dusty floor, his hands immediately swatting at the creatures. "Get off, you horrible – NO! Get out of my shirt!"