Gilbert gave Billy a glare. "are you guys playing a game?" Billy felt slightly intimidated and he had every right to. everyone knew Gilbert would win in a fight.

"sounds fun but we should probably get to school, eh?" Gilbert said as Billy gulped. "hate to be tardy, Mr. Phillips sure gets his dander up about that" He added.

"yea I was just about to get going, see you there," Billy said before walking off.

you and Anne stood up.

"you alright miss?" Gilbert asked turning towards Anne. "it's Anne right?" he asked.

"I... uh... school" she said before running away. Gilbert wanted to run after her but you stopped him.

"leave her be. Billy must've scared her," you said.

Gilbert nodded as you two walked on in silence.

When you approached the schoolhouse there was loud chatter everywhere.

Gilbert opened the door for you and you smiled mumbling a thank you.

before you could say anything else the boys crowded Gilbert, pushing you in a corner.

you chuckled hanging up your coat and walked over to them when they stopped asking questions.

"there's a new girl... she's an orphan" you heard Moody say.

you frowned. "so?" you asked sending him a glare.

Moody gulped. "nothing" he said. you nodded and put your focus back on Gilbert.

"wanna eat lunch together later?" you asked.

he nodded "yea definitely" he said smiling.

the boys went on with their conversation as you and Gilbert looked out of the window at Anne who was sitting by the stream.

"I'm gonna introduce myself," Gilbert said.

"alright I'll see you at lunch" you said as you walked over to your desk.

the girls were standing next to you in a group. they were whispering as they looked out of the window. once they saw Gilbert they quieted down.

Ruby started tearing up and Josie looked like she was about to kill someone. your eyes widened.

I forgot all about the dibs!
anne is gonna get in trouble...

you gulped as you watched Anne and Gilbert have a conversation. It looked pretty awkward.

when Gilbert walked back inside the schoolhouse you saw the girls rushing outside.

poor Anne.

you frowned as you looked out the window. Josie was yelling, Ruby was crying and Diana looked very uncomfortable.

At lunchtime Anne sat outside alone. she refused to sit with you, Gilbert and your brother. you didn't blame her, Josie could be very intimidating.

"why's Anne sitting all alone?" your brother asked.

"the girls are mad at her" you said sighing.

"I'll ask her if she wants to sit with us" Gilbert said standing up.

"Gilbert I don-" Gilbert walked off and you slapped yourself on your forehead.