chapter two: the new kid in town

Start from the beginning

____________________________________________________

"Class went by really fast today. Wonder if it's because of the transfer kid?" you wonder aloud. Mira shrugs and takes her lunch bag to the cafeteria. The two of you quickly walk to secure a small table, but you're walking faster to not be dead last in the lunch line. Upon entering the building, you can hear the whispers and murmurs among the students of Jae Won about Daniel. 

"Y/N, I'll be over here!" Mira points at a table near the back of the cafeteria and you give her a nod, heading to the line. You spot Zack making his way to Mira and trying to get her attention, and you let out a small laugh. Then, you catch Zoe asking Daniel what kind of side dishes he likes as he seems to be in a state of euphoria. Confused, you grab a tray, get your food, then go back to Mira and a couple of other girls at the table. Judging from Zack's angry expression from the other side of the cafeteria, he did something to make Mira mad. 

'Seems like Zack isn't doing so hot these days.' 

Daniel sits to the table next to yours, and coincidentally is sitting the nearest to you. You want to ask him how his first day is going, yet Doo and his goons approach him before you can say something. 

"Hey newbie! We need to talk after lunch." Daniel's sigh is full of dread and fear, as if he knows what will happen. Waiting to be out of their earshot, you ask Daniel if he needs backup. 

"It's okay Y/N! I wouldn't want you to get hurt if anything bad was going to happen," he assures you, but you notice him toying around with his chopsticks. 

"Are you sure? I mean, I do know some pretty sweet moves..." you jokingly brag. You let out a chuckle and Daniel thinks what said is a joke, so he laughs too. "Anyway, hope you're doing okay so far here!" Daniel thanks you and the both of you return to eating lunch. 

"What was that about?" Mira asks.

"Nothing, it was nothing."

____________________________________________________

After eating a large amount of food, you exit the cafeteria to feel less bloated. 'I wonder how Eli's doing...'  You whip out your phone and pull up Eli's contact and press the call button. He doesn't pick up but he leaves you a message saying that he'll call you sometime later because his fangirls are keeping him on his toes. 

Y/N: kk, have fun with ur fangurls

eli: yea yea whatever 

You slip your phone into your pocket and keep walking until it's time to head back to class. Your mind wanders off and you think about Min-Jun. Hopefully, he's fine and having fun with the rest of his classmates. You stroll a little ways longer and stumble by an alleyway, but not just a regular one. Doo and his friends are talking to Daniel in a serious manner and knowing what kind of people they were, you hide behind the open entrance of the alleyway to give Daniel some help if they were going to cause trouble. 

"Where are you from?"

"You're freaking tall."

"Ah~ sweet." 

"You must be a lady killer. Hook me up sometime, big guy," one of Doo's friends says as he offers Daniel a cigarette. You doubt that he'll take one, but then again, you knew nothing about him. 

"I quit smoking. And...I don't know any girls," Daniel replies coolly. He leaves and Doo and his friends are left with a different opinion of him. You hear Daniel sighing and his footsteps getting closer and closer to where you are.

"So, you don't know any girls, huh?" Daniel turns his head to the direction of your voice. "Hey there." 

"Y/N, what are you doing here?" 

"I was just taking a walk and I heard you talking to Doo and his goons, so I decided to listen. Sorry, I was just curious," you confess, scratching the back of your head. "Besides, we wouldn't want anything to happen to the new kid, right?" 

"I guess so," Daniel agrees. "Oh, and I actually have never smoked before so I hope you don't get the wrong idea of me." 

"Whatever you say, Daniel!" you joke. Both of you walk together to your class while engaging in some small talk, and you were ultimately trying to get to know Daniel better. Of course, you had to ignore the harsh glares of the girls on the way back. 

As the two of you walk, Daniel stares at you while you ramble about how annoying your classmates can be sometimes. It's easy for him in this body to not get caught since he's significantly taller and he's grateful for that. His lips curve into a small smile, and with a tint of red spreading over his cheeks, he thinks to himself,

'I think I...finally found a friend.