Jiminy Cricket Monologue

“When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are Anything your heart desires will come to you. When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.” Pretty, huh? I'll bet a lot of you folks don't believe that...about a wish coming true... do you? Well, I didn't, either. Of course, I'm just a cricket- singing my way from hearth to hearth, but let me tell you what made me change my mind. One night a long time ago my travels took me to a quaint little village. It was a beautiful night. The stars were shining like diamonds ugh high above the roofs of that sleepy old town: pretty as a picture. As I wandered along the crooked streets, there wasn't a soul to be seen. The only sign of life was a lighted window in the shop of a woodcarver named Geppetto.  So, I hopped over......and looked in. It was a shame to see a nice, cheerful fire goin' to waste. So what do I do? I go in. I looked around. Of course, being in a strange place like that, I didn't know what to expect. A cricket can't be too careful, you know. Soon as I saw there was no one about, I made myself at home. As I stood there warming my... myself, I took a look around. Well, sir, you never saw such a place...the most fantastic clocks you ever laid your eyes on, and all carved out of wood. And cute, little music boxes... each one a work of art. And shelf after shelf of toys and...and then something else caught my eye...a puppet. You know... one of those marionette things: all strings and joints. Cute little guy. Good piece of wood, too.

*****

NOTES:

Full version found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfGCIXgNCf4

This version has been modified to be finished in: 60.5 sec

Role: Male

Acceptable for: Childrens' shows, optimistic/protagonistic roles, old man roles, parent roles, good guy roles

Negatives: Not too eccentric (it's rather calm), some phrases are frequently repeated ("I looked in")

Positives: Everybody knows who Jiminy Cricket is!