chapter one

"and these right here?"

"oh, i baked them this morning! take one please, it's my treat."

you smiled brightly at the old man in front of you.

he smiled back at you, taking the loaf of bread you had gestured to.

"thank you very much, y/n."

"of course, sir castro." you happily nodded, taking a seat in your chair.

you had never imagined what a joy it would be to run a bakery.

you adored your job.

your bakery was set in a small village, one you had grown to love over your years of living in it.

you had become quite close to all the villagers, and cared for each of them deeply.

as all the villagers claimed, you cooked and baked the best meals they had ever had.

your bakery was quite popular, and people from all across liones would come in just to get a taste of your food.

you had put up a name for yourself, and no one suspected anything else but the best from you.

you had no reason to hide.

no one knew about your past.

you were safe.

"excuse me?"

you quickly blinked, snapping yourself out of your thoughts.

from your seat, you looked down, face to face with a small blonde hair boy.

his eyes were a bright emerald green, his hair slightly falling on to his face.

you smiled warmly.

"hi! welcome to luscious delights! how may i help you?"

you jumped out of your chair, leaving the boy confused as you stood at a shorter height than him.

it was quite odd to meet someone that wasn't taller than him, much or less shorter than him.

"hi!" he composed himself, grinning widely. "i've heard a lot about this bakery from all across liones!"

you shyly smiled, "yeah, i guess you can say it's pretty well-known."

the boy looked around, his eyes glancing around all the different pastries and bread on display.

though, you could tell he didn't seem interested in the food.

"if i'm being honest," he looked back up at you, "i'm not exactly here for baked goods."

"oh?" you spoke, confused.

what does this little boy want?

"what do you need then?" you asked, leaning across the counter slightly.

the boy looked around the bakery, rendering it safe to ask his question once he concluded that nobody else was nearby.

"do you happen to know where a woman named y/n is?"

your heart dropped a bit.

you uncomfortably readjusted your cloak, tightening it around your figure.

people always came around, excited to meet you and compliment your cooking. but why was this boy being so secretive?

what do i do? what do i do? what do i-

"i don't." you answered, deciding it'd be best if you lied. "why do you need her?"

you mentally cursed as the jars of sprinkles on the counter began to shake.

your rising anxiety was activating your powers.

you turned back to him, hoping he wouldn't notice.

thankfully, his eyes remained on you.

the boy pursed his lips slightly.

"i need her help."

your breath hitched.

"with what, exactly?" you asked, furrowing your brows.

the boy paused.

"i've heard things about her. inhumane things."

the jars began to float.

"i know she resides somewhere in this town. though, no one here even bothers to give me any helpful details." he huffed, clearly frustrated as he spoke.

something about the boy didn't sit right with you.

you sensed power from him.

extreme power.

"this town is a lot larger than it seems." he chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. "i've been looking for a few hours now."

you nervously chuckled back to him, placing your hands on the counter. thankfully, the jars fell back down.

"i'll let you know if i have any other details." you responded, wanting to end the conversation as quickly as possible.

the boy stared at you for a few more seconds.

"sure!" he turned, placing his hands on the back of his head.

before he walked out the door, he turned back.

"i have a tavern up on the northern mountain. if you find out anything, meet me there."

you held your breath as you watched him walk out.

this was not good.