Chapter 5

Kristine looked at Mitch partly astonished, partly in fear. "What about it's history is worrying you?" She asked timidly, afraid of the answer, though deep down she already knew what the answer was.

"Well a lot of people have died in there since 1957, till now. Almost one person every year." He said staring blankly out the window. His eyes had that detached look that made Kristine worry for his sanity.

"What do you mean?" She asked leaning over the table and almost whispering, making sure only they could hear each other.

Mitch sighed, he didn't want to tell her but she was pressing him hard, mostly without even speaking, it was just that look in her eyes that demanded he tell her. It was, as he would put it, a classic Kristine look.

"There's too much for me to remember." He said, then stood up, pulling out the car keys as he did. "Don't worry, I'm just going to get the keys for the car to get my laptop, the history is on there." Mitch said, answering the worry and unease in Kristine's eyes before she could even verbalize it.

Kristine nodded, and leaned back in the booth, then started staring out the window, her eyes clouded with worry and fear. But Mitch couldn't say anything to help so he walked out of the restaurant tossing his keys from one hand to the other. He could feel Kristine watching him through the glass as he walked towards his car, still tossing his keys back and forth, something he'd never done before but now oddly enjoyed. It was like something to do without having to think about it, it had a calming effect on Mitch, which he thought, was the best thing for him at that moment. He popped the trunk open easily, then pulled out his laptop case, which contained his laptop, and his laptop contained all the information about his possibly haunted apartment, but Mitch didn't believe that it was haunted.

You don't believe it yet buddy? His, sarcastic in quality, mind thought. Well, you sure are one stupid and stubborn donkey. What will it take man? Your death? Your girlfirend's death? I mean holy cow patties, your a stubborn mule.

Mitch succeeded in pushing away that train of thought, dismissing it as stupid and childish, but a part of him, small but nonetheless strong, knew he was lying to himself. That part knew he believed already, and that part knew he was scared, more scared than ever before in his life. Nevertheless, he closed the trunk and walked back into the restaurant, trying his best to appear that nothing was wrong, but something was wrong, very wrong.

He sat down back in his original seat and pulled out his laptop. As he began turning it on, Kristine got up from the opposite side of the booth and quickly slid into the side Mitch was sitting in, so that they were sitting next to each other and so that she could see the computer screen. Mitch looked over to her, forced a smile and began to connect his laptop to the wifi available courtesy of Hot Spot. Once connected he opened up the internet explorer and began to show Kristine the cases, one by one, until there were no more.

There were multiple supposed suicides; multiple supposed homicides, in which the cause of death was never determined and the case never closed; and the list went on and on. By the time they had finished going through it both Kristine and Mitch had finished their food and were sipping their drinks, though by the time their food arrived they weren't very hungry and they ate for the need, not because they wanted to. Silence had been in strong reign for nearly thirty minutes, which was the entire time since their food came. Neither of them knew what to say, so they simply said nothing; but Mitch felt he should say something, more like he needed to than he should.

"I'm gonna be just fine Kristine. Nothing is gonna happen." He said, wrapping his arms around her tightly. She shook her head in response.

"That place has to be evil," She said, then looked up into his eyes, "right? It has to be."