Miles colored at this, which was the desired effect.

"I'll go get my things, then," said Tarleton.

"Before you get started, I did have one more question for you," said Myrtle. "I know that Neil must, understandably, not be your favorite subject, but I was wondering if you knew of anyone who might have wanted to kill him."

Tarleton blinked at her and then said, "Oh, that's right—you write for the newspaper. But you won't use my name?" His voice was anxious. "I'd rather not get on anyone's bad side right now, considering that I need to ask people for work."

"I never reveal my sources when they're off-the-record," said Myrtle with a sniff.

Tarleton nodded, as if he hadn't really expected any less from Myrtle. "All right, then. Let's just say that I've noticed a couple of odd things about Neil. As I mentioned, I took him under my wing when he arrived in Bradley; I found him a bank job and I introduced him around town. While I was introducing him, I noticed that he did a double-take when he saw Holt Kelly. And Holt didn't look all too pleased to see Neil, either."

"Really?" Myrtle's eyes gleamed with interest.

Miles frowned. "Holt Kelly? I don't think I know him."

"He's at the high school," said Myrtle. "He's the principal there, as a matter of fact."

"That's right. And when I asked Neil about it, he acted like he didn't know Holt at all—that he simply reminded him of someone else. But I knew differently because Holt had clearly recognized him, too. I don't know what's happened between them, but there's definitely something there," said Tarleton. "And there's one other thing, since you're letting me be confidential."

"What's that?" asked Myrtle.

"When Neil and I were working at the bank together, we had just closed up for the night and were heading for the parking lot. There was someone by Neil's car, waiting for him," said Tarleton slowly.

"And who was this person?" asked Myrtle.

"Adelaide Pound. Although Neil didn't look pleased to see her. Actually, he looked very annoyed."

Miles asked, "Did she appear to be there for bank business?"

"No. It seemed completely personal. It appeared to me that the two of them were having some sort of ... relationship," said Tarleton. He made a face. "That sounds awful for me to say. I don't like to gossip. But that's the truth of it."

Myrtle said, "Thanks for letting us know, Tarleton. I'll jot down a little list for you, since Red has you on retainer."

He smiled a relieved smile at her. "That would be wonderful. Thanks so much."

Tarleton walked out to get his tools and Myrtle said, "Now let's turn our show back on, or else we'll be completely lost."

Miles seemed uneasy. "It's not the end of the world if I don't watch it. I could go on home."

Myrtle said, "Don't be so self-conscious! Tarleton Fleming has enough on his mind to fret over your television viewing habits. And you know how soap operas are: if we miss the next half-hour, babies might have grown into five-year-olds and Malena might have gotten married and divorced seven or eight times. We have to keep up!"

So Myrtle and Miles ended up being caught back up into their show again while Tarleton did a couple of small jobs in the back of Myrtle's house.

The show ended and Myrtle and Miles chatted for a few minutes longer. Tarleton resurfaced from the back. "I've taken care of everything on your list, Miss Myrtle."