Chapter Nine

Juliet was impatient for the night to come. It seemed that the day would go on forever. She wished the god of the sun would whip his horses so that they would carry him faster to the distant west and allow night to fall like a thick curtain. Then her husband could come to her in secret. Who needed daylight? Lovers didn't: their own beauty was light enough to see by. In any case, if night is the best time for it. She sat in her room, marveling at how long a day can be. She thought about what would happen when the night finally fell and Romeo was with her: how she would give herself to him and by so doing, win him forever. The darkness would hide her blushes when they made love. She went to the window and gazed out over the orchard where Romeo had stood. It was so frustrating:;she had bought a house of love but not yet taken possession of it – she was like some brand new item that hadn't yet been used. Oh, what tedium: she felt like a child on the night before an important day who has all her new clothes lined up but wasn't allowed to wear them until morning. Her Nurse came slowly up the path from the gate. Yes, she had the rope ladder. But she didn't look very happy. Perhaps she was tired. Juliet left her room, ran as fast as she could -through the halls and down the stairs – and reached the Nurse before she got to the door.

'Hello Nurse,' she said. 'What have you got there? The rope ladder that Romeo asked you to get?'

'Yes . , . yes!' said the Nurse, 'The rope ladder.' Her voice was dull. She sat down on a bench and dropped the ladder. She didn't look at Juliet: she just shook her head slowly and began wringing her hands.

'Oh dear, ' said Juliet 'What's wrong? Why are you wringing your hands?'

'Oh no, oh no,' said the Nurse, 'He's dead, he's dead, he's dead. It's all over – all over, May God help us, he's gone, he's killed, he's dead.'

Juliet went cold. Did she mean Romeo? She was numb, 'Can heaven be so hostile?' she said,

'No,' said the Nurse. 'But Romeo can. Oh Romeo, Romeo. Who would have thought it? Romeo!'

'What kind of monster are you, saying such things?' said Juliet. 'Torturing me like this? Has Romeo killed himself? Just say yes or no.'

The Nurse still didn't look up. 'I saw the wound with my own eyes. Right here,' She placed her hand on her breast. 'A pitiful corpse, a blood drenched pitiful corpse. It was pale, pale as ashes, and all covered in blood. I fainted when I saw it.'

Juliet lay on the ground and sobbed. Her heart was. broken. She never wanted to open her eyes again. She wanted to die right there and then and be buried in the same coffin as Romeo.

'Tybalt, Tybalt,' wailed the Nurse, 'The best friend I had. O dear Tybalt! good Tybalt. I never thought I'd live to see you dead.'

Juliet sat up. 'Why are you contradicting yourself?' she said, 'Is Romeo killed? And is Tybalt also dead? Both my beloved cousin and my even more beloved husband? Then come on doomsday, sound your trumpet, because who is alive if those two are dead?'

'Tybalt is dead and Romeo banished,' said the Nurse. 'That Romeo who killed Tybalt – he's banished.'

'Oh God!' shrieked Juliet, 'Did Romeo kill Tybalt?'

'He did, he did, oh God help us, he did,' sobbed the Nurse.

'I can't believe it!,' exclaimed Juliet. 'Oh, the scoundrel. A snake's heart hidden by a handsome face! Did ever such a beautiful cave harbour such a dragon? A beautiful monster! An angelic devil, Evil in the clothes of good – just the opposite of what he seemed. I can't believe that hypocrisy could live in such a gorgeous palace!'

'No,' said the Nurse, 'You can't trust any man: they're all liars, all hypocrites, 'Huh, where's Peter? Bring me some brandy! All this sorrow is aging me. Shame on Romeo.'