we are (not) prisoners

Start from the beginning

⠀⠀⠀ A part of his heart was forever etched for Mikaela, and that would never change.

⠀⠀⠀ His father had decided to join them, and the former colonel— and king— had more than enough to say about the upcoming party. Of course, Guren as only interested in political and economic affairs when it came to meeting other people; that is, if the expensive wine didn't fancy his picky tongue.

⠀⠀⠀ "Imagine the weapons we could trade for our harvesting and shipbuilding materials! Our kingdom would flourish, and of course, King Mikaela's would, as well." Guren chuckled as he looked outside the window of the carriage. "I would have brought him and his people a complimentary gift of some of our perfectly-picked strawberries and apples, but it was so last notice."

⠀⠀⠀ Yuichiro rolled his eyes to himself. How typical of his father to only think of alliances and maintaining their power— as a former king should. Hopefully, his father will remain among the crowd as he speaks to others of royalty rather than follow him around.

⠀⠀⠀ The moment they arrive in front of the castle is the same moment Yuichiro can feel his palms begin to sweat, perspiration coating his neck and forehead out of anxiety and nervousness. As much as he wants to blame his heavy, expensive silk cape, the raven knows better. Mikaela, his one and only, was beyond these premises— waiting for him, hopefully even longing for him, just as he had. Swallowing down the large, thick lump in his throat, he exits the carriage, allowing a hand to Akane for her to do the same. The young servant seems rather exhilarated at the new, fresh sight of another kingdom, a smile etched on her bright cheeks.

⠀⠀⠀ "Shall we, my king?" Akane offers lightly.

⠀⠀⠀ Yuichiro dips his head as a response. Within his mind and within his heart, he's trying to control his emotions and the forbidden thoughts consuming his entirety. As Akane lays another comforting and encouraging hand on his arm, the king finds warmth once more flowing through him like a majestic stream, and he uncovers a determination like no other.

⠀⠀⠀ We shall.

⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀ If the exterior was beautiful, then the interior was utterly stunning. Although it was not as illuminative and as rich with expensive paintings, sculptures, and material, Yuichiro knew that there was a lot of hard work that was put into the kingdom's creation. The dwelling itself resembled so much of the Mikaela he knew— pure, its walls plastered with a crystal-whiteness that matched his lover's skin, the windows reflecting a piercing sapphire as it allowed thin rays of natural sunlight to grace the granite flooring below, and decor so serene that Yuichiro could almost mistake the palace for heaven beyond the clouds.

⠀⠀⠀ There were many people— perhaps, not as many as Yuichiro would see within his own kingdom, but overwhelming enough to the point he had to look away, nausea clinging to his throat. Akane, upon noticing, leans into him.

⠀⠀⠀ "How are you feeling?" Akane questions.

⠀⠀⠀ "I think– I think I need a moment—" he begins to say, if it weren't for his father chuckling loudly.

⠀⠀⠀ "A moment? No such thing. Our arrival is of utmost importance, and the first duty we should uptake is greeting King Mikaela and his fair maiden." Guren begins, taking a couple of steps forward into the crowd.

⠀⠀⠀ Yuichiro could feel his heart stop abruptly. His mind suddenly forgets how to breathe; the flow of oxygen coursing through his veins are isolated from the rest of his body, and he's left choking on his own saliva. Akane pats his back, asking aloud if he was feeling all right once more, but the raven doesn't hear a word. All he hears is King Mikaela and fair maiden— repeating endlessly like a mantra in his poor, demented head. It's echoing, except instead of getting softer, it's drumming from one ear to the next like a violent crescendo.