Chapter XIV

"We never did get to talk about your staff," Icefire said as we ascended the mountain, approaching Wallala, the caves of the dwarfs. We all rode on washas--me and Icefire in the front, trailed behind us by Lozhor Lank and Nuzzle Cobra. Behind us, was the full procession of the Knights of Aramus. It had been my personal request that Nuzzle ride with us. After what Lozhor had said to me yesterday, I wanted to make sure that me and Nuzzle at least got off on the right foot. I wanted him to understand what I was doing. Why it was the right thing.

But it seemed like Nuzzle just got more angry that I had done that. Every time I went back to talk to him, he would try and convince me to leave. "Listen, Katto," he said. "I still see it in you. You still need Basil. You don't have to do this."

"I don't need anyone," I spat. Who did Nuzzle think he was? I literally spared his life from Icefire, and now he was acting like I owed him something. That's what I hated. Him and Basil, just because they were, like, six years older than me, thought they knew so much more than me. Yet all they really knew how to do was treat me like a kid. Well, I wouldn't be a kid forever, and Icefire knew that.

"I still don't really know how to use the staff," I said.

"I can show you tonight when we camp," Icefire said. "After the dwarfs here at Wallala, we'll be heading over to Albion. The pixies will have much to teach you about the forests here in Aramus. Then we will meet with the giants. Soon, we will approach the Bridge. We will cross our new army over into the Land Under the Bridge, find the final blue sty, and then rise up to the Beating Heart of Aramus, where we will make our final stand, and recreate the magic in Aramus once and for all. When you step into that city, Katto, with so much magic in you, you will have the power to do anything you want to. This world will be yours, and you will be in true control of magic. After all, that is all we really want for you."

"Sounds like a plan," I said.

"You all will be killing the last blue sty left in Aramus," Nuzzle said from his spot in the back. "Remember that."

"Silence, fool!" screeched Lozhor Lank.

"No," I said. "Listen to what he has to say."

"You show compassion," said Icefire. "That makes you very strong, indeed, Katto. Lozhor, let Nuzzle speak. He may offer valuable insight on our plight."

"You talked about recreating the blue stys once you had full control of the Beating Heart of Aramus," said Nuzzle.

"Yes, Nuzzle, because that is exactly what I plan to do," said Icefire. "What, do you think I'm a liar or something?"

"You're rebuilding this world in your image," Nuzzle hissed. "You think you're helping this world, but really you're bringing about its destruction."

"Well, you can say that about anything," Icefire said coolly. "There's a very fine line between helping and hurting. Actually, it astounds me how well you understand my exact line of thinking. I'm so glad Katto spared your life. You never fail to amaze me, Nuzzle."

I still didn't really get what Icefire's goal was once he reached the Beating Heart of Aramus, but I didn't even think it sounded that bad. To me, it really sounded like he was trying to bring even more life and beauty to a place he already loved. Basil had said as much. You would think Basil hated Icefire, but he actually spent a fair amount of time praising him. Plus, now that I knew that Basil was a murderer, he was just a hypocrite and a liar. Actually, it made no sense to me why he hadn't already joined Icefire.

"Now, Katto, when we arrive in Wallala, the dwarves will no doubt join us on our quest," said Icefire. "They may act harsh, but it's all an act. When you learn to handle these situations more like I do, your character will grow greatly. We may not be spending as much time there as you wish. We will make them think we are limited by time. That will increase our urgency, and their chances of joining us in our assault on the Beating Heart of Aramus."