Chapter One

By: Felicia

Another sleepless night. I turn to my right and watch as the sunlight sparkle on my unwanted tears. The morning light has cracked wide open and i stumble to the bathroom clumsily.

"Today is a new start", I thought. "My future begins, this is everything i ever wanted". I just could'nt shake the feeling of leaving everyone behind. Although the thought of Lexi being there with me would comfort me.

I showered and dressed quick, savouring the last hour in front of my dresser. "You better be ready Hayley, your flight leaves in 30 minutes!". My mum always had a knack of snapping me back to reality,  - harshly. I took a deep breath and exhaled, gathering my bags and what little belongings i could take. Saying goodbye to my parents was the thing i dreaded most for the past week. Mum seemed composed as usual, but dad had this sombre look in his eyes that made me realise things were going to change forever. With both their daughters gone, Katherine and Nicolas Lockhart would just be a lonely middle aged couple in California.

"Hayley, you have made your father and I so proud. Im really glad you agreed to take this job, this is such an amazing opportunity for you baby", mum sighed wiping away a tear. "And be safe out there in the big city, and send our love to Lexi". Dad was an emotional guy, a man of few words. He took a deep breath and said, "I love you Hayley, take care and see you at thanksgiving". I hugged them tightly, looking back at them as i stumbled forward and could'nt hold back the tear making its way out.

Arriving in New York, my feelings of nervousness surfaced. The air was different, the people even more. The loud honking of mid-afternoon traffic made my ears throb. Well, theres something i need to adjust to i thought.

A familiar face greeted me, and before i could recognise who it was i was thrust in her arms and given a bear hug. "Hayley! Oh my god, you look amazing i barely recognised you!" I eyed my sister in awe, she looked so sophisticated and classy. Her blonde hair flowing in sleekness, highlighting her aquamarine eyes. And her lean body wrapped in a knee length lace dress, perfectly paired with a white wedged heel. She looked so much like mum and shared so many of her qualities. Me on the otherhand, shared much of dads features. Long, wavy brunette hair, curvy frame and hazel eyes. The one good thing that Lexi and I shared was our mothers beautiful tanned skintone, that she inherited from her Cuban mother.

"My beautiful baby sister, i missed you so much im so glad you're here",  she arches her eyebrow as i stand self-conciously before her. Lexi was always so overly dramatic, much like mum. "Hi sis, thanks for having me im so excited to be here. Mum and dad sends their love by the way. Im so exhausted, i need to crash!". I giggled.

"I hoped you wouldn't say that, I'd like you to meet Mark tonight if you dont mind. He's invited us for the opening of his restaurant Le Petít. Its going to be sauve from what i hear, with celebrities, the media and prominent people from all over New York".

"Lexi...you know how beat i am and - ".

"Relax, i got you covered! I got you a dress in advance knowing you would refuse to go if you did not have anything to wear. And as for the sleep part, we should be back home before 11".

"Please say yes Haley, i really want you and Mark to finally meet".

When my sister pleaded this way, i could'nt resist. She was like a four-year old, with those poppy-dog eyes. Bright and gleaming, guilt tripping me.

"Okay", I sighed. I know how important it was to her for Mark, her fiánce and I to meet.

"Yay! Thank you, i owe you!". Lexi's voice filled with excitement and joy, i knew i made the right decision.