‘What are brothers for?’

Jace made his was back home, entering through the back way stopping in the shed him and his brother built for times like this, holding their emergencies supplies, including their cloths.

He dressed, and made his way into the house, finding every room down stairs empty. Her sent was faint as he followed it, the scent got stronger with each step that lead to her room.

He knocked softly, but there was no answer, he knocked once more before he opening the door, looking in to see Riley lying on her bed, sound asleep.

She looked so at peace, the sound of her soft snoring filled the room, as he took a step closer, to brush her hair that had dropped into her face.

His fingers glided along her face pushing the hairs away, she wiggled under his touch, moving her face from hugging the pillow, Jace’s stomach dropped at the sight of Riley’s puffy eyes, eyes that looked as if she had been crying.

She had been crying because of him, he’d hurt, and by doing that he had let her down, and that hurt him more than anything.

He walked around the other side of the bed, gently sitting down to lie beside her, wrapping an arm around her. He pulled her in close noticing how perfectly she fit into his arms. He enjoyed the moment for as long as he could, but Jace was never one to procrastinate.

“Riles.” He whispered, as he traced his fingers along her arm, smiling as tiny little bumps appeared.

She was waking up in a daze, when her eyes met his; Jace was sure he saw fear cross her face, then regret. She rolled completely to her other side so she was able to face him.

“Riles we need to talk,” he regretted those words the second they left his mouth, as saw Riley’s eyes widen, with a fresh glaze of tears beginning to peek out.

“I understand,” she said to him choking back all her emotions, as she sat up on the bed. “I promised and I broke it, and then I made you mad.”

Jace was honestly confused, “what are you talking about love? I’m not mad, well not at you.” The last part was said as he also sat up.“Riley,” Jace didn’t really know how to start this conversation but starting from the begging just might help her understand, but before he could begin Riley had thought the worst.

“Jace,it’s ok I get it, you didn’t sing up for this, I mean you can be out on the prowl. You don’t have to do this,” she waved her hands in the air gesturing to the both of them.“I don’t want you to settle, when this isn’t what you want, you can go out and have unprotected sex all you want. I just can’t be the cause of your pain. You and Ash never got a choice, so here it is, Jace what do you choose?”

Jace was in shock, he couldn’t even blink his wolf was internally kicking his a$$, had Riley really thought Jace didn’t want her? Jace noticed Riley wasn’t breathing, she was holding her breath waiting for what….Oh his answer.

“You;” He breathed out, “always you, forever you. “ Jace took Riley’s hands in his, felling the instant reaction, knowing she was feeling the same. “This feeling, I’ve wished one day I’d feel with you, and now that I’ve felt it I’m never letting it go, I never expected to be an option for you. Ash naturally knew things about being an alpha, so as we got older and my feeling grew for you, the thought of it not being me killed me.” He placed her hands over his heart, just so she could feel the steady beat of his heart indicating his words were honest. “I started to distance myself hoping it would hurt less when the day came, but I couldn’t stay away, I kept finding myself needing to make sure you were ok. The closer we got to your birthday the stronger it got, unfortunately Ash felt the same, and here I am feeling like the luckiest wolf in the wold, for being a part of you.”