Chapter Eight: Mari's Wonderful and Tiring Adventure in the Soul Stone

Start from the beginning

"To learn the practices, you need a weapon." Ayo stated. Mari nodded silently. Ayo pulled out a small vibranium spear from her side holster. It was like the love child of a cinqueda and a spear. "This is mostly meant for close contact attacks but it's the next best thing for you." She said and Mari nodded. Her voice dripped of power.

Mari grabbed the small spear and moved it around.

"Lets get started."

When she first saw Ayo, Mari was going to shit herself. She looked fierce and scary, but after a couple of minutes Mari relaxed. She was strict but patient and she helped Mari to learn the moves.

Mari didn't know how long she spent there learning and practicing the moves. It was probably a couple of hours but Mari found herself learning the moves quickly. She was told by her brothers that after the battle with the bandits, Doctor Strange told them that two years had passed. Maybe that meant Mari was practicing for months? This entire thing made Mari's head hurt.

They finally stopped when Ayo shouted a final command and the soldiers stopped. "You are learning fast." Ayo commented.

Mari's face was spilt with a grin. "Thank you!" She said, panting. The pain and exhaustion finally hit Mari and she collapsed on the floor. "Sorry." Mari said to Ayo. That was a habit she had. It was in the Persian culture to not lay down in front of elders so Mari would always feel a pang of guilt every time she did that and would apologize.

"No need to apologize." Ayo said. Mari has heard that sentence a thousand, million times during her lifetime. She couldn't help it! Just like how she had to insist she doesn't want something eight hundred times before finally agreeing. It was in her blood. "You are tired." Ayo sat down followed by some of the soldiers.

It was quiet for a while and it was awkward. Mari finally realized she she still had the baby spear. "Oh, by the way." She went to give back the spear when Ayo shook her head and interrupted her.

"No need. You are now an honorary member of the Dora Milaje." She said.

Mari felt a confident, proud, strong. She had seen these strong women practice and experienced it. To be an honorary member of these powerful women made Mari feel powerful.

"I- Thank you!" She gave thanks.

It was once again quiet but this time Ayo broke the silence.

"What made you wanna practice with us?" Ayo asked.

"Well you guys moved so eloquently and-." Mari was cut off.

"Why would you want to learn how to fight? Your fathers are 'heroes'. You have bodyguards. Why do you want to learn how to fight." She corrected.

"Oh." Mari's voice went quiet. "I- um- well-." Mari wasn't sure if she was ready to say it. "When I was a kid I learned Taekwando and I knew some self defence moves because of my dad and aunt and uncle." She swallowed the thick lump im her throat. "Before I died, two weeks before my 15th birthday, I was on the public bus. I told my dads I wanted to take the bus to school like a normal kid. It was super crowded." Mari began absentmindedly playing with the baby spear. "There was no way you could move. Some guy put his hands on my thighs. I didn't think anything of it first but then-." She moved. Ayo seemed to know where this story was going to and her hold on the spear tightened. "I guess you know what I'm trying to say here. I never told anyone about it. I was too scared. After that I went to school and just pretended to be okay but I could feel his- his fucking hands on me. It's been three months- or, well, two years and three months but I can't get over it. I just want to not be weak." Mari said quietly.

Ayo nodded. "Men are pigs." She said.

Mari couldn't agree more.

Ayo stood up. "You should head back to your family." She gave Mari a hand to pull herself up. "You should tells you parents what happened." Ayo said and Mari nodded before going away.