Large gusts of wind slam into Zerreus, making balancing on the brick tower a difficult task. He prays his grip does not fail him.

After a fight to climb his way down, the prince's boots touch dead grass. Immediately, he takes off through the garden, hurdling over hedges and topiaries towards the stables.

Dead branches of overgrown plants whip his face as he follows a narrow path. It's a beautiful day, but sinister shadows cast darkness upon a carcass of the once beautiful garden.

He squints his eyes, looking through brush to the building he runs to, sweeping the area for any guards. Only one stands over the tall doors to the large stone structure.

Making a turn, he decides to go around the side and ambush the unsuspecting soldier. Zerreus rushes to the back of the building, keeping a wide distance from it as to not attract any attention from his only foe. He creeps around its side as silent as a mouse.

Peeking around the corner, he looks to the guard preparing his attack. Taking a full on sprint, the prince tackles the guard to the ground. The man struggles and grunts under the prince's weight. Zerreus grabs the poor soldier's head, twisting it violently to the side. With an earsplitting crack, the man goes limp, lifeless.

The prince climbs off his body, running to the doors. He throws them open, moving to a horse's stall, coat flailing in the wind.

Neighing and rearing up in its stall, the creature tosses its head back. Zerreus breaks the lock on the stall door and leads it from the stables. He climbs on its back, having no time for saddling up. They ride swiftly through the gardens, heading directly towards the kingdom's gates.

Hooves hit black bricks as they start into the town, weaving through people and cattle in the alleys between buildings. Hidden by his clothes, he is recognized by nobody.

However, not a single demon is happy with having to move out of their way, groaning and scowling at the prince.

This place is absolutely miserable, thinks Zerreus.

A tall man wrapped in dark colored clothes walks directly in his path, uncaring of the horse barreling towards him. The steed rears up, neighing violently as it comes to a sudden stop. The cloth wrapped around the prince's face slips loose, revealing himself to the man in his path.

As his horse drops back down, Zerreus watches his near victim, uncovered face in awe. The man continues to cross in front of the horse at his leisurely pace, not seeming to take mind. The prince steadies his ride, following the stranger with his eyes as he dissapears into a dark alleyway.

Snapping himself out of the trance, he pats the horse's side and it takes off once again, speeding towards his kingdom's walls. Nearing the gate, he sees a collection of guards at the seemingly unmovable and unused doors, swatting at something over the side. One of them is swiftly pulled over the side by a clawed three-toed hand. His screams end in a wet crunch as his body is crushed by the strong jaws of whatever lies on the other side.

Shouts and panicked yelling erupts as the sound of multiple chains snapping rings out overhead. The prince assumes it was the creature breaking loose of some binds.

Running out if time, Zerreus advances further, forgetting his disguise is undone. A female soldier wearing elaborate armor whirls around at the sound of horse hooves against brick. She shouts, "Who-," she gasps, "Prince! Stop!"

Other guards turn at her cries, not believing what she said.

"Quickly!! Apprehend him!" Soldiers pour from around the gate, weapons in hand, after the prince.

Zerreus turns his horse around and makes a sharp turn into an alleyway, following it for a while and making another turn. His pursuers continue to give chase, gaining on him.

Weaving through wagons and buildings, the panicked prince finds himself trapped in a dead. The long hall is pitch black, except for the light of a figure smoking a pipe.

"Hey, Kid. Hurry." He makes a beckoning motion with one hand, the other resting on his side.

Without thinking, Zerreus obeys, praying that his last option will be a safe one. He knows he could probably kill the mysterious man unscathed.

The stranger opens a tarp on one wall revealing descending stairs. "Leave your horse. Consider it payment for saving your sorry ass."

Speechless, the prince dismounts his mare and steps into the doorway.

"Cat got your tongue?" He smirks and starts descending.

"N-no!"

What the hell does that mean? He follows the stranger down the stairs a few steps. The man pulls a slab of wood from one side of the faintly illuminated hall, sliding it into place where the opening is.

"Come, we must hurry." The stranger strides down the stairs, plucking a torch off the wall. Zerreus keeps behind his savior as they rush through the hall.

Light bounces off the walls, casting shadows of the two horned men.

"So," the prince pants, "why are you helping me?"

"Who wouldn't want to leave this God forsaken Hell-hole. This place makes me sick. And I know someone like you can help keep me out. Call me Valmos." The now familiar stranger glances back, momentarily meeting eyes with the other.

"Oh- call me Zerreus, please. And what do you mean by that?" The prince worries for his safety, assuming the man will try to hold him hostage for pay.

"Well, kid, I'm trying to stop
smuggling things in and out of "your kingdom," he sneers.

"I understand, I want to leave as well. "And what to you mean smu-," he shakes his head, realizing he doesn't want to know, "-nevermind."

"Why are you leaving, anyway. With all the luxury? Do you know what it's like living on those streets?" A touch of anger flavors his tone.

"I left because of my father. I'd rather live on those streets than be his son." The prince pauses, sighing. "I left because I am going to kill him."

With a scoff of disbelief, Valmos shakes his head. "Whatever you say, kid."