breaking down the barricades

Start from the beginning

They sit, making themselves comfortable at the table.

"How's your shoulder doing?"

"Ah, it's been better. A little sore today-"

"Please tell me you didn't try to take anyone down today."

Nico taps his fingers against the tabletop, unable to lie.

"Link, it's not like I'm trying to hurt myself. I have a job to do," he slumps back in his chair, a slight frown tugging at his lips. Link knows how much it's affected Nico, being unable to properly do his job. Even if Nico won't admit it, Link can see it in the way he acts. Body language can be a huge giveaway.

Link leans forward on the table, arms crossed underneath him. "If you hurt yourself before you're fully healed, you'll be out of that job. How many times do I have to remind you of that?"

Nico grumbles as a reply, reaching forward to grab the sandwich he'd bought. Link lets himself grin, knowing that this time, he won. Deep down he knows it won't last, that Nico will injure himself further, ending up back at square one; but for now, he's won, and that pleases him.

-

"Does that feel any better?"

Nico rolls his shoulder back, and for once, it doesn't hurt. He nods, a grin spreading across his lips as he moves his shoulder about more. Link sports a pleased grin as he takes a step back, watching Nico move about without pain. It won't last but for now, Nico can get on for the rest of his day with minimal pain.

"You're a miracle worker," Nico sounds relieved, grabbing his shirt from beside him. Link brushes off the compliment and leans on the countertop, grabbing some paper and a pen to write some notes for Nico. Nico shuffles himself to the edge of the bed, fiddling with the shirt in his hands.

For a moment, it takes him back to the day he got injured, to the day that possibly changed his life forever. He doesn't regret what he did, though. He may have gotten hurt, but at least the little girl lived.

A small knock on the door catches both their attentions, the door clicking open just moments later. It reveals a timid looking doctor, who looks a little nervous to be there, and he keeps his eyes off of Nico as much as he can.

Nico, on the other hand.

"Ah, Schmitt, there you are!" Link greets him, making his way over to the smaller doctor to take the armful of supplies he is struggling to carry. "Did you get everything I asked for?"

"I think so," he replies, voice small. Nico stays sat on the bed, watching. There is something about this doctor that intrigues Nico. He isn't exactly sure why.

Link checks through everything he'd brought, double-checking once he's finished. Then, he smiles, reaching out a hand to pat the other doctor's shoulder. The strength of the pat takes the other doctor by surprise. Nico can't help but chuckle.

Link raises a brow as he looks at Nico, who is still sitting on the bed, shirtless of all things. Then, his look shifts from confused to mischievous, and Nico knows what is coming.

"Schmitt, meet Nico. He's the guy I was telling you about, the one who hurt his shoulder and refuses to listen to doctor advice?" Link can feel Nico's scowl on him, but doesn't give in.

"You should really listen to him," he speaks up, and Nico's scowl drops. His tone drips with sass, despite his shy nature. He turns his attention to the smaller doctor - Schmitt, if he remembers correctly - and listens. "I've seen some serious damage done to cops who didn't listen after an injury."

Nico glances down at the shirt in his hands, remembering that he was currently shirtless. He slips it back on and stands from the bed, running his hands over his uniform to straighten out the wrinkles.