First Impressions

11pm, Dorm Room.

 Elphaba's POV

Galinda Upland. From the moment I first learnt her name I hated her. Everything I heard was so perfect; so fake. She's rich, blonde, skinny and totally a crowd pleaser, everything I'm not. We are complete opposites.

And now we're sharing a dorm room.

Rooming with the most popular girl at Shiz is not what I expected, nor what I wanted. At least, with her kind of social life, she's out most of the time. It's basically like having a dorm to myself, just the odd occasion where I'm woken at midnight by her stumbling back inside and then taking an ungodly long shower. She's very talkative and she rants to me a lot. I listen to her, but I don't respond much. I know some things about her life that not many other people do, I guess she thinks I have no one to tell, she's right. Unlike her, I'm here to study. If I ever want to make my dreams of working with the Wizard a reality then there's no time for parties or hangouts... It's not like I really have that option anyway though. I'm GREEN for Oz's sake, nobody likes the green girl, nobody cares how she feels or what she thinks. But that's fine, It isn't like friends would be a great help while trying to study...

"Goodnight Fiyero, honey" 

I'm interrupted from my pity party by Galinda's obnoxiously high pitched voice outside in the hallway. She throws open the door and flounces past me to her bed, her frilly pink dress bouncing with every step. I can't help but notice how the fabric hugs her perfect curves and accentuates her bust and hips, she's beautiful. I turn away to face the wall, it feels wrong to notice those things about her. I don't even understand what it means, it's so unlike me. 

"Elphie"

 A nickname she gave me, I don't approve. She sighs and turns to me. 

"I've been thinking about Fiyero lately"

Fiyero, her boyfriend. I don't approve of him either.

"I don't love him, not really. I'm going to break up with him. It's for the best I think, we only got together because of our popularity. You don't find true love through popularity Elphie, I wish I'd known that before... I don't even feel upset, honestly, there's a much nicer girl I've liked for a wh- Uh... sorry, I-I'm gonna go take a s-shower..."

Galinda stutters then get up and almost runs to the bathroom. The shower starts up. I sit alone processing this news, I had seen it coming for a while, unlike Galinda apparently. I almost feel happy about it, there's this weird sensation in my chest, like my heart has grown too large for my rib cage and I can feel it beating. I stand up and shake the feeling off, then change into my pyjamas. I got no proper rest last night because of how late Galinda came back, I figure the weird tightness in my chest must just be lack of sleep. I hear Galinda turn off the water as I slip into bed, looks like it will be an early night for both of us. Finally.

Galinda's POV

I lock the bathroom door and stare at myself in the mirror. Stupid, stupid me. I tell Elphie a lot, but that was too close. I replay what I said to her in my head; did I say the word 'girl' out loud? Did she hear it? I haven't let anyone know that I'm gay, and I don't intend to. People would freak, I bet even Elphie would be weirded out, and Elphie never lets anything phase her. It would freak her out even more if she found out that the girl I liked was her. Even just thinking about this is crazy. Of all people I could develop a crush on... why Elphaba?! I know she's the laughing stock of the school, people hate her, she's green! And everyone says she's a witch, but there's something about her which stops me from believing that's true. She's so soft and studious and kind. She listens to me when I talk, even if she doesn't reply, I can see the emotions on her face when I tell her things. And she's so pretty, Oz almighty. Her cheekbones are higher than average, and more pronounced, her lips are a perfect elongated heart shape and her eyes are the deepest, most beautiful shade of brown. Light practically sparkles off them. Her skin looks like it's glowing all the time, I don't know if it's the green or just an insanely good skincare routine. Whatever, I can't keep thinking about it. It's only going to hurt more if I keep wishing for her like this. I finish up in the bathroom then walk out into the dorm. It's dark and Elphie is already asleep. I can see her face in the halflight from the bathroom, she looks so peaceful. I sigh, then close the door to the bathroom and quietly tuck myself into my bed on the other side of the room.