"I would not leave you to complete this task alone, my son," Haemon informed Hesiod with a smile. "I will go with you."

Hesiod returned his father's smile.

_____

Y/n heard the instant Sophus returned to the cave. Immediately, he was hovering around the other, asking him a barrage of questions.

"Where were you? What's this thing you had to get? Did you end up needing money after all?"

"Breathe, Y/n," Sophus urged, sounding equal parts amused and exhausted.

"Oh, come now! You've been gone for an entire day. As your disciple, I think I reserve a right to know —" A hand meeting the (h/c) man's shoulder cut him off.

"Of course you can know, Y/n." Y/n could hear the smile in the man's voice. "Just... follow me."

Y/n eagerly allowed himself to be led a decent ways into the cave. Sophus had left early the day before, claiming he had something of utmost importance to do — and whatever Y/n did, the (h/c) man was expressly forbidden to leave the cave. Now, though Sophus had returned and Y/n did not have to be alone in the blackness of his world any longer.

Y/n was brought out of his thoughts by tripping over a stalagmite. Sophus easily caught him and righted him.

"You really must learn to be careful."

"People who have working eyes still trip all the time," Y/n remarked, flushing in embarrassment.

"I wasn't attributing your tripping to your blindness. I was telling you you're clumsy."

A surprised laugh left Y/n's mouth. It's strange, Y/n silently admitted to himself. Ever since Sophus had allowed him to map out his face, the other had been... more at ease? Relaxed in Y/n's presence? It was — a good kind of strange. Y/n found himself liking the other — like, a lot.

And the (h/c) man of course had no idea what to do about it. Y/n had never had anything close to a friend before. Much less an opportunity to grow close to someone who treated him like an equal.

"Here," Sophus announced, halting Y/n with his hand still firmly gripping the other's shoulder.

"Wow," Y/n injected sarcastic enthusiasm into his voice. "This is different from every other part of this very dank cave."

A quiet laugh was Y/n's only warning before the hand left his shoulder and returned to shove harshly at a spot right between his shoulder blades. Y/n was unbalanced easily and this time there was no hand coming out to stop him from falling forward. Just as lifted his arms to brace himself against undoubtedly rocky floor, Y/n gasped as something soft caught him.

"What...?" Y/n's hands began exploring the soft cotton texture underneath him. "What is this?"

The surface dipped as a second weight landed on it. "I recall a certain someone complaining quite loudly about sleeping on a stony floor."

"This is a bed?" Y/n's voice was muffled by the blankets.

Sophus hummed in affirmation beside him.

"How did you get this?"

"All that matters is that it is here now," Sophus informed him.

Y/n shoved his face into a pillow. "Fair enough."

_____

Perhaps it was wrong, Medusa quietly admitted to himself as he watched Y/n succumb to sleep (so easily lured by the comforts of a bed). Perhaps it was wrong to give Y/n such things. To provide for him for the purely selfish reason that the Gorgon didn't want Y/n to leave. To ever, ever have a reason to.