Chapter Four: Why do you play basketball?

Start from the beginning

“He’s been playing basketball ever since I can remember. He was our middle school Basketball club’s Ace way back when. Over the years he got really skilled, in fact he’s one of the best players I’ve ever seen.”

Misaki looks over at the girl surprised, “Then I guess I can sort of understand why he skips practice like he does.” 

Momoi sighs, “I just wish there was someone who could give him a run for his money.”

Misaki goes back to watching Aomine. Despite being the chief scorer he looked like he could care less and Misaki feels bad. She couldn’t imagine how he felt. Suddenly she doesn’t see the game as being fun or amazing anymore. In fact, she feels sad.

For the rest of the game she sits there in silence. 

While Misaki could somewhat understand where Aomine was coming from there was still the issue of Aomine and the team. He didn’t get along with his team mates and Wakamatsu’s attitude toward the bluenette certainly didn’t help either. 

Those two were lethal together, especially if they were forced to be in the same room. Plus it didn’t help that Aomine hardly showed up to practice. Though it wasn’t like Misaki could get him to start going. Momoi had a better chance of getting him to go than her.

A sound behind Misaki startles her back into reality. She turns around and notices a familiar person walking home as well. “Aomine-san? What are you doing walking home?”

“Tch, none of your business, I just… decided to walk home early today since I’m not going to practice today.”

Misaki nods, “Alright, well would you like to walk together?” 

Aomine says nothing as he catches up and walks next to her. The two are pretty silent as they head down the street. Misaki darts her eyes to look over at him for a moment before going back to looking ahead. Walking with him was a bit reassuring now that she thought about it. 

“Say something before I just get bored and walk away.” He remarks. 

Misaki giggles, “I think we both know that you’d never abandon a girl to walk home alone. Despite how prickly you look you’re not that heartless.”

“You don’t know that.” 

“Very well, I’ll give you that. I can’t for sure know that you won’t leave me on my own but I’m fairly sure you won’t.” They fall silent once more, “Tell me Aomine-san, why do you play basketball?” 

He looks at her weird, “Huh?”

She tries again, “Why do you play basketball?”

“I don’t know, I just do.” 

Misaki shakes her head, “Alright, well… do you love basketball?” 

“Why do you want to know that?” He shoves his hands in his pockets as he keeps his pace next to her. 

“Well… I mean… I just can’t understand why you play basketball if you don’t like basketball.” 

“Who knows anymore, I’m just biding my time.” 

“Right.” She holds the strap of her bookbag tighter and looks down, unsure of what to say next. It was obvious that she’d picked the wrong topic to talk about. 

“So what’s up with you, why are you even in this club? You don’t have a talent like Satsuki’s and I haven’t seen you play at all so I doubt that you can.” 

Misaki laughs despite the insulting words, “You’re right, I don’t really have that much talent for basketball, I’m okay at it but I don’t accel in the sport. I just like the sport well enough, I find the strategy intriguing and the way you play is… extraordinary- though I doubt you need to be told that.” 

Aomine pays attention to her words, surprised at her reaction, “What, you saying that you know how to play basketball?”

She shrugs, “I can play it well enough, against normal players that is. As it is right now I doubt I’d ever be able to stand up to you and even score a point.” 

He rolls his eyes, “Duh, no one can. The only one who can beat me is me.” 

“Right, well you want to find out about that?” They were happening to go past the park where there was an open basketball court. Even though Misaki knew that she would get destroyed mercilessly she wanted so hard to just make him smile while playing basketball. 

“You just said it yourself, I’d destroy you. Besides we don’t have a basketball anyways.” 

“Hah, sounds like excuses to me. If you ask me, you’re just scared to play a girl.” 

“Whatever, next time I get a basketball I’ll take you down and show you how out of your league you are.” 

She grins a bit and nods, “It’s a promise then, don’t forget.” 

Aomine rolls his eyes as he nudges her with his shoulder. She stumbles sideways a bit before she catches her balance and laughs once more, her eyes sparkling. All at once he stops and looks at her with wide eyes. When did she look so… girly? 

“Aomine-san, are you… alright?” 

He scrunches up his face, “Didn’t I tell you to stop calling me that? You make me feel like my old man.” 

“Well then what am I supposed to call you?” 

“Just call me Aomine-kun or whatever.” Is his flippant reply. “Just not Aomine-san.” 

“As you wish, Aomine-kun.” They start up their normal walking pace once more. 

Misaki takes a turn onto her street and this time Aomine just follows her without even thinking about it. She shoots him a look but says nothing, not wanting to ruin the good mood between the two of them. She goes down to the end of the street and then hooks a right at the last house 

She opens the gate and that’s where Aomine finally stops. Noticing this Misaki stops and smiles to him, “Thank you for walking me home Aomine-kun.”

“H-huh? What makes you think that I walked you home?” He’s trying hard to not blush. 

“Well considering the fact that you never go down this way and the fact that I know you live near Satsuki-chan and that almost in the opposite diagonal way. So, thank you.”

“Y-yeah well I just got sidetracked is all.” He rubs the back of his neck and takes a step back, “Either way, I’m leaving.” 

“Hah, well good-bye Aomine-kun. Have a good night.”

Misaki turns around and heads into her house. Aomine watches her go for a moment, a strange feeling in his gut. On his way home he allows himself a small grin, if she wanted to play him then fine. He’d show her just who she was dealing with when it came to the sport.